LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sumon (Manager)     18 June 2011

Tenant Rights in Mumbai

I am staying on rent in Mumbai for last 4yrs & have a good relation with my Owner, I have been renewing the Rent Agreement once in 11 months with the agreed amount of rent (which on mutual discussion we settle it ourselves).My owner has absolutely no problem giving her flat on rent, but recently the Society President of the building is raising objection on the fact that - my owner cannot continue with the same tenant & this he mentions as a Society Rule (which offcourse my owner is hearing for the 1st time).

My question is, is there any such Rules & what should I do to tackle the Society President (he is objecting to it because of the fact that he gets commission from brokers who gets new tenants in the building). If the so called Society Rule exists...for this year can I make an agreement between Owner & my sister who is staying with me since last couple of months to persue her studies. Please help me out!!!

Learning

1 Replies

Rajneesh Srivastava (owner)     21 March 2015

SIr, I had signed a rent agreement for the fully furnished accomodation on the monthely rental of INR 15000/- with a refundable secirity deposit of INR 40000/-.  

At thi time of my shifting to the permises following points were mnotified to the owner:

1) Electricity/ water/ gas meter readings.

2) Defects in the flat like, TV /Refrigerator not working, Main door lock was malfunctioning, door eye was missing, CFL's were fused, window pains were not getting closed. No door bell. Ward roap not getting closed. No white washing done. Toilet cystern not working. 

I had reminded owner of the flat several times on these issues but nothing done in 20 dyas time.  The only activity was he had arranged for the fridge mechanic but was not rectified till end of 2 months. On a face to face conversation with the owner, CFL's were purchased, toilet cysten was set right for which he said to pay the amount to us.  But he dis not pay it.  We had recovered the amount from the rent paid to him for the first month.  Rest all were never attendngs set  to.  I had to call upon the broker involved to tell him of the situation.  He spokt to the owner and broker asked me to get the the things right on pay, which will be refunded to me by owner. So I had got TV rectified, window pains got set right, door issues set right.  On 23rd Feb, 2015 when owner met me I had asked him to refund the amount as promissed, but was reluctant.  More over to our surprise, he presented electricitybill through the security guard to be paid by us. This was as on on 9th March, 2015, just a day before the due date of payment.    Sir, this bill was for the period prior to our occupying the flat.  I immediately    called the owner and asked on the same, then he said let this bill be paid by me and he sahll refund the amount on his coming to MUMBAI. This conversation was sent in the written message in his whatsApp.  Next day he threatend me to vacate the house by 10th April, 2015.  SIr, as per the terms of the agrement, one months notice shall be served with valid reasons by either parties.  Like wise threats also came to us very often from his end in the first month itself,  when we recovered the amount on the purchases as mentioned abve. And now he is asking to stay till end of April otherwise he shall not return secirity to me.  Yet another threat. On the bsis  of his forst date of th April, i had located another prmises to shift to. I had paid one months advance to the new owner. 

Sir, I   have not understood why this attutide of the owner?  I had taken this premises for monthly rental for the fully furnished accomodaiton which was never provided. 

Sir, I need to be guided as to what must I do to recover the secirity and the amount spend to get the flat rectified.  Any law that protects me in this regards? 

Kindly provide me a solution ASAP, please.   

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register