LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Bharat Ranpura   08 August 2016

Tenancy right of heir who stayed with father till fathers death

I stayed for 55 years and looked after my father till his death in a rented premises in Mumbai which is in my fathers name. Now after my fathers deaths my 2 brothers and 2 sisters are asking for the share in this pagdi premises and not allowing to transfer this pagdi premise in my name. How can I proceed to transfer this premise in my name?

Learning

2 Replies

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     09 August 2016

Sir,

[1] A tenanted premises is not a property of the tenant, the heirs of the decesaed tenants have only the right to reside at the premises. The tenanted property can not be transferred without the written consent of the landlord. If you have been living with your father and if you have all the evidences of your stay at the premises, you are fully protected under the Maharashtra Rent Act 1999

[2] If anyone of the heirs wants to tranfer the tenancy rights of the property to his name, and if the landlord is agreeable, then he has to obtain no-objection certificates from the other heirs.

Good Luck,

Kishor Mehta

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     27 September 2016

you are a protected tenant under   MTA and if anybody wants (Your siblings) wants to stay or rights in this pagdi property as tenants they can live in this tenanted premises if you rlandlord agrees.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register