Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ranjith (Self)     16 September 2013

Tax on rental

Hi,

I had constructed an house and given for rental for about 30K. For construction of the building I had taken loan from relatives(about 20 Lakhs) and have to payback it in 2 years time. Can I show the repayment of the loan amount as expense against the rental income received. Logically I am not getting any income until I pay the loan back.

Thanks

Ranjith T

Learning

4 Replies

Vallabh Parmar (Advocate)     17 September 2013

repayment of principal amount is not an allowable deduction from rental income but interest paid on such loan is an allowable deduction

Ms.Nirmala P.Rao (CEO)     24 September 2013

Dear Client,

If the net interest payable on borrowed capital is higher than the rental income from house property then the loss from such income is allowed to be set off against income under any other head for a period of 8 subsequent years against house property income.as per Section 71 B of Finance Act 1998.

Ms.Nirmala P.Rao

Legal Expert

sreekanth (Assistant Manager- Taxation)     06 December 2013

Had if You Got the House Loan, then You Can Claim the Principal Repayment Under  Section 80C and Interest Under Section 24 of Income Tax Act,1961

Refer Section Analysis for Section 24 of IT Act, Given on this Link:https://www.exploreincometax.com/Indian-Income-tax-Act-1961/Section-24

If You need , You may Refer Section 80C on this Link: https://www.exploreincometax.com/Indian-Income-tax-Act-1961/Section-80C

Rajesh Thakker (Advocate)     07 December 2013

Dear Mr. Ranjith,

No deduction of repayment is allowable from the income of house property. If you had paid any interest during the relevant income period, it is allowable deduction from the income. You may adhoc deduction at 30% of the rent realize from the rent income. I hope that this is clear answer for your question.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register