Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sathish (Tech Manager)     24 April 2012

Tamilnadu hindu marriage

Hi,

I recently got married in Chennai and registered under Tamilnadu Hindu Marriage Rules 1967. I recently read an article that from Nov 2009 all the marriage in tamilnadu needs to be registered under TamilNadu Marriage Act 2009. Do i need to register again under this act? or still the Tamilnadu Hindu Marriage Act (Rule 1967) holds good. If i need to apply visa for my spouse, does this have any impact accordingly?

Learning

12 Replies

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     24 April 2012

Dear Satish,

As you have already registered under TMA 1967,you need not register again.

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     24 April 2012

Agree with Mr. Devalla

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     26 April 2012

Rules and Acts are different. When certain Acts are passed by the legislature, susequently Rules are drafted regarding how to comply with the Act. It  is also presented before the legislature and passed. If there are Rules without a parent Act, it may not be Rules passed by the legislature.

vignesh raj (ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE)     04 January 2013

hi,

I am planning to marry my lover,without the consent of their parents by registering my marriage.we both are hindu.whats the procedure i have to follow to register the marriage.please do help me out with that.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     07 January 2013

You should have opened another post.

Go to the nearesr office of Registrar of marriages and ask him.  Both of you will have to give your particulars including proof of age. An application that you wish to get married will also be required. They will place your names on the notice board asking any concerned person to file objections, if any, within a stipulated period, If no objections are received or if objections, if any, received were rejected the rigistrars office will fix a date for the marriage in cinsultation with you both. Both of you should go to the registrar's office on the stipulated date and get married. You will have to take witnesses with you.

In Tamilnadu Police Stations also are authorised to solemnise marriages.

pandiyan (student)     01 October 2013

hi, i want to marry my lover.she has one year elder than me.my age is 20 and her age is 21.if we got married any problem is there.i need your suggestion for this.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     01 October 2013

I think you are asking whether there will be any problem because she is older than you. No, no problem at all, there would be, on that count. If you marry now she will be 21. It would hardly matter now whether she is 19 or 21. Are  you both thinking of remaining married to each other until death of either of you make you part?  In due course you will be 40. She will be 41. Around 49 or 50 she will reach menopause and her interest as well as her body responses towards s*x may fade. You will still be less than 50 and s*xually active for another 10 years or more. You will start envying other men having young wives. Of course now you will not appreciate. Both of your are young, your s*xual urge will be high and would believe that you would never become old.

Of course there are and there were many couples, where wife is/was older and still the marriage was durable. Nargis was older than Sunil Dutt and they remained married until the death of Nargis. Rahul Deb Burman married the much older Asha Bhosle, who was already a widow then. But Panchamda died and Asha Bhosle became a widow for the second time like Shirley Maclaine. Aishwarya Rai is older than Abhishek Bachan. But their marriage is only one child old.

If you are particular that you want an example from Tamilnadu, Dhanush is younger than his wife Aishwarya, daughter of Rajni Kanth.

So go ahead.

pandiyan (student)     02 October 2013

no sir.my doubt is if we got marry there will be any legal problems are raises or not.because the legal age for marriage of male is 21.but my age is 20 now.but she has reached the age of marrige.there is problem in her home for our  marriage.thats why i ask i didnt complete legal age for marriage.but she has completed.so if we got marry ,any legal problem raises or not.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     02 October 2013

As you are under age you will not be able to marry by registered marriage. But people get married in so many ways. Most common method, which we see in movies also, is to go to a temple and tie the mangalasutra or thali in the presence of a priest and one or two witnesses. Such marriage is not legally valid. But you will be able to go on unless the marriage is challenged by an interested party. As the girl's parents have objection for the marriage they can challenge it.

As both of you are above 18, you can live together with or without marriage. If her parents complain to the police, they cannot take any action against you, if so long as the girl maintains that she is willingly staying with you. Validity of the marriage is a different mater. In one year you will be 21 and you can go to a registrar's office and get married.

But there is one risk. People can change their mind, young people in particular. If at any time during the time you wait for your legal marriage, the girl can change her mind or you can change your mind. Then there can be problem.

So long as you do not live together, living together will be a great thing. But once you start living together, after some time, both of you, or still worse, one of you may get disillusioned and may like to quit.  Then there will be heart break and such things sometimes even drive people to suicide. But after you get legally married, separation will not be that easy.

Have you ever thought why you want to marry this girl only? Are you not seeing other girls? The reason may be this girl may have made her intention clear to you, while you do not know about other girls. One year is a long period and any thing can happen.

saravanan   20 August 2015

hai.... i'm going to marry my lover where my native is MADURAI and she is from CHENNAI . . .which registration office should i approach . . . can i marry her at any registration office around chennai ???

saravanan   20 August 2015

hai.... i'm going to marry my lover where my native is MADURAI and she is from CHENNAI . . .which registration office should i approach . . . can i marry her at any registration around chennai ???

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     20 August 2015

Mr.Saravana this is a lawyer's forum and U have to learn how to address the experts.Post UR query in a new thread as this one is three yrs old.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register