LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prashant Prasad   06 December 2016

Suit for possession of property

In 1992, my grandfather had donated a pice of land to an educational trust and the said agreement was registered. However, the school became non-operational in 1995 and the land has been in our family possession since. Even the property tax have been paid by us since 1995 and the mutation of property in the revenue records has been done in my name. (Based on an unregistered settlement deed). Till recently, the EC had shown the name of the trust. Recently, we have registered a settlement deed for this particular property to make it valid in the eyes of law. My questions is A) Can the trust claim rights over the property? B) Does the limitation act apply to this? If the trust can claim rights, what are my remedies?

Learning

2 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     06 December 2016

If it was by gifted by a valid/registered deed then trust is owner.

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     07 December 2016

LAWyersclubindia Home Forum Civil Law Others How to define public and private trust 8 years ago 5 Replies Report Sushil Kumar Bhatia Advocate How to define a trust is private or public trust what are the ingridients of public and private trust .kindly give clear differences Reply Quote Like Send msg To activate Click to Talk, e-mail at lciconnect@lawyersclubindia.com 8 years ago Shree. Advocate. Dear Sir, The essential distinction between a public and a private endowment (trust) is that the beneficial endowments vests in an uncertain and a fluctuating body of the persons either the public at large or some considerable portion of it answering a particular descripttttion. On the other hand , in a private endowment the beneficiaries are definite and ascertained individuals . Trust is defined in section 3 of the Trust Act, 1882 as " an obligation annexed to the ownership of property and arising out of a confidence reposed in and accepted by the owner, or declared and accepted by him, for the benefit of another or of another and the owner. In simple words it is a transfer of property by the owner to another for the benefit of a third person alongwith or without himself or a declaration by the owner, to hold the property not for himself and another. In India, the second most popular form of registration is as a Trust. However, the statutory provisions, procedures and the laws relating to trusts are confusing. Under Indian Laws, various kinds of public and private trusts can be formed. Here, we have dealt with the laws and procedures related to Public Charitable Trusts. The Indian Trust Act, 1882 is not applicable to Public Charitable Trust. There is no specific act under which a Public Trust is to be registered, except in the State of Gujarat and Maharastra. Public Trusts are formed under general law, with guidance drawn from the Indian Trust Act, 1882. The other relevant acts are Religious Endowment Act, 1863, Charitable & Religious Trust Act, 1920 and The Bombay Public Trust Act, 1950. The following are the basic ingredients of a valid trust : i) There must be an author or settlor of the trust. The author or the settlor refers to the person who sets aside certain property for the benefit of the beneficiaries ii) There must be a trustee. The trustee are the persons who manage this property for the benefit of the beneficiaries as per the Trust Deed. The author himself may or may not become a trustee. iii) There must be a beneficiary or beneficiaries. iv) There must be clearly delineated trust property. v) The objects of the trust must be specific. THE THREE CERTAINITIES REQUIRED Three Certainties of a Trust are : i) Certainty of intention to create Trust. ii) Certainty of the objects and the beneficiaries. iii) Certainty of the subject matter of the Trust i.e. fund or properties must be specified and settled in the d
Here in our case beneficiaries  Sxchool children are not there.Certainity of objects and beneficiaries is not there.Only fund is created.The objects of thetrust ar specific. Here although an educational trustis its objective the school is its objective and unable to run and show school children etc.Hence this is  a purely a  private trust.  masquarading as public trust.Hence in view ofthis unless  you make it out and out aPublic EducationalTrust the trust may not claim any rights over  that settled property.Mutation etc is in your name. Hence this trust is private trust.If you appeciate this answer would you please give me my profilelikes in exchange  for free legal advice.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register