LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ambuj Sharma (Software Engineer)     30 July 2014

Sending notice to the tenant before filing the eviction peti

Please let me know the pros and cons of sending the notice and not sending the notice to the tenant of a commercial shop in urban area in Delhi before filing the eviction petition under DRC?

If I should send a notice first then what is the time duration as per the law that needs to be given to the tenant to reply. I have a bonafide requirment and the case will come under the juridiction of DRC act?

If sending the notice is exempted, should I direcly file an eviction petition?

Note: The shop is not located in slum area and it is in commercial market.

Learning

6 Replies

KAILASH CHANDRA NAUTIYAL (JE (Civ))     30 July 2014

Hi, Im having one old property near my home town that is old commercial shop given in rent by my grand father before 50 years. Since than we are getting rent based on very old verbal agreement between my grand father and tenant's grand father. Later on since last ten years we are getting rent based on new agreement. But presently my four younger brothers are purely unemployed and we required this shop for self commercial use, but this old tenant refused our request straightly. Now due to  urgently needed employment to my younger's we required this old shop vacate for renovation and self business. Request advise for further course of legal action by us to vacate this shop.    

Ambuj Sharma (Software Engineer)     31 July 2014

Respected prominent members of this forum, request you to please provide your response on the question asked above regarding sending / not sending a notice to the teanant before filing the petition which will come under DRC. Thanks

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     01 August 2014

@Ambu Sharma:  An eviction petition will not be entertained by the DRC without having given a mandatory notice by the landlord to the tenant to vacate the premises for the reasons quoted therein. so the question of pros and cons do not arise because pre-eviction suit notice to the party is mandatory. Better consult a local lawyer and take his further advise before proceeding thereon.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     01 August 2014

@K C Nautiyal: Firstly use a separate thread to post your own query, use other's thread for replying to their query alone.  

Now to your query:  For recovery of possession of your premises, you can, if  the premises let for commercial purpose are required bona fide by the landlord for occupation  for himself or for any member of his family dependent on him, if he is the owner thereof, or for any person for whose benefit the premises are held and the landlord or such person has no other reasonably suitable commercial accommodation to carry out his business to earn his bread for survival;issue a notice to the tenant to vacate and hand over possession by allowing him a reasonable period for closig down his business in the premise and handing you the vacant possession, subsequent to non-compliance, you may fle an eviction suit.

Ambuj Sharma (Software Engineer)     01 August 2014

Thanks T Kalaiselvan for your response.

Couple of the lawyers I have consulted in Delhi has said that sending the notice is exempted if you have a bonafide need and if the case comes under the DRC act ( sec 14(1) [e]).

Though I am thinking of going with both the charges i.e. bonafide need and non payment of rent (more than 2 years). He send me the money order in May 2012 and in Sept 2013 which I refused.

The commercial shop has remain closed for almost since the tenancy started which is some 26 years back and is hardly open. Currently the shop is not in active use and is closed.

If I have to send a legal notice to the tenant then what is the minumum time period as per the law that is to be given to the tenant in this case and what are things that can put in the notice.

There are 2 shops in my property and 1 is in my possession which I am using as a store room (again without electricity).

Thanks

Ambuj

KAILASH CHANDRA NAUTIYAL (JE (Civ))     02 August 2014

Thanks a lot Mr T Kalaiselvan for your response.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register