LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Debjani (unemployed)     18 May 2013

Seeking help regarding cousin marriage

I am(26 yrs) in deep love with my first cousin brother ( brother's sister's son) for last 13 years and now we are planning to get married. We have decided to register our marriage using special marriage act. Both of our parents are aware about this fact and assuming they will not complain in future in spite of they are not accepting this relation. He resides in other city for job and I will be staying alone with him.

I have a small question, Since this marriage is not legal ( I learnt from this forum / We are Hindu /still have some doubt), will I get my rights( social, financial, pension, insurance) in future if something goes wrong?

Can my parents-in-low come in between and spoil my marriage life?

Please advice.

Learning

2 Replies

Deep_blues (Engineer)     18 May 2013

@ Debjani,

plz concentrate on ur 'deep love'...pension, insurence rights r secondary where 'deep love' is considered....

as per law i think its void and illegal.

Vinayak (self)     18 May 2013

marriage is a sacred union  and its hard to find happy loving couple who are committed to each other these days

may god bless you two with a long and loving life, children, health and wealth 

may you prosper in your matrimony

I do not know what the courts will say ....but in real life, IF THE TWO OF YOU ARE TOGETHER, not many people can touch you 

I see that you are an adult male and he is an adult male 

~~~~~~~~~~

I AM NOT A LAWYER. So I am sharing with you what I have read and what I know with that disclaimer . Hope some lawyers will answer .... 

~~~~~~~~~~

1. this question of (a woman) marrying father's sister's son (or a man) marrying a father's sister's daughter has been going on for long. IF this custom is prevalent in your community then in my humble opinion your marriage to your cousin is valid (I understood your question as marrying a cousin) 

2. read the full discussion on this here https://lawcommissionofindia.nic.in/reports/report212.pdf  [scroll some pages till the law commission comes to this vexed question ] 

3. marriages between relaions and affines is a subject matter of many studies 

https://publishing.cdlib.org/ucpressebooks/view?docId=ft88700868&chunk.id=d0e10053&toc.depth=1&toc.id=d0e8417&brand=ucpress

-----------

regards

Vinayak

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register