Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Santosh kumar (lect)     28 October 2014

Sec 27 of hindu marriage act can we claim ownership of gifts

Hi

I & my wife was presented a joint gift cheque at the time of marriage by my father in law. But that was later cancelled by my father in law by duping me. 

My wife files a divorce and they are making tall claims of gifts and valuables. While I have not received anything.I am being threatened of criminal proceedings on the same. 

I have proof of the  of a/c payee cheque. That was no way credited to any of my accounts. Can I make counter claim ? I feel I am duped of this rightful ownership  and now being falsely implicated . 

Do I have rightful ownership as per section 27 of the HMA act 1955.

regards

Ramesh

Learning

6 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     28 October 2014

@ Author,

1. S. 27 of the Hindu Marriage Act uses the phrase 'property presented at the time of marriage, which may belong jointly to both the husband and the wife. This section has one prerequisite as laid down in the Balkrishna case (see below); the property must be connected with the marriage. So far as the question of property being jointly owned by the parties is concerned, suffice to say that the section nowhere uses mandatory word'must', it uses the word 'may'. The phrase 'which may belong jointly'-because of the use of the word may- includes within it penumbra the property which may not belong jointly to the parties. In my opinion S. 27of the Act does not confine or restrict the jurisdiction of matrimonial courts to deal only with the joint property of the parties, which is presented at or about the time of marriage but also permits disposal of exclusive property of the parties provided they were presented at or about the time of marriage.

Under S. 27 of the Hindu Marriage Act, Matrimonial courts have jurisdiction to dispose exclusive property of the spouses provided it was presented at or about the time of marriage.

In any proceeding under this Act, the court may make such provisions in the decree as it deems just and proper with respect to any property presented, at or about the time of marriage, which may belong jointly to both the husband and wife.

The Allahabad, High Court, Bombay High Court, and MP High Court (see below for citation of these cases) have taken a contrary view and have held that exclusive property of the parties can also be dealt by the matrimonial courts.

i. Kamta Prasad Vs. Smt. Om Wati [AIR 1972 All 153]
ii.
 Sangeeta B. Kadam Vs Balkrishna R. Kadam [AIR 1994 Bombay 1]
iii. Ashok Kumar Chopra Vs. Smt. Visandi [AIR 1996 MP 226]

The Delhi High Court, Orissa High Court, Jammu and Kashmir High Court, and Punjab and Haryana High Court (see below for citation of these cases) have held that exclusive property of the parties cannot be dealt by the matrimonial courts under S. 27 of the Act and they should seek remedy before regular civil courts.

i. Smt. Shukla Vs. Brij Bhushan Kakkar [AIR 1982 Delhi 223]
ii. P. Maharajan alias Nadarajan Vs. Chakalayil Kanju Sarojini [AIR 1988 Orissa 175]
iii. Sardar Surinder Singh Vs. Manjeet Kaur [AIR 1983 J&K 86]
iv. Smt. Surinder Kaur Vs. Madan Gopal Singh [AIR 1980 Punjab 334]

Whereas a decision from the Hon'ble Bombay High Court was taken in appeal to the Supreme Court. It was partly overruled in Balkrishna R Kadam Vs. Sangeeta B Kadam [AIR 1997 SC 3652=1997 (7) SCC 500](which I referred to as the Balkrishna case aforesaid). The Hon'ble Supreme Court held:

'It [Section 27 of the Act] includes the property given to the parties before or after marriage also, so long as it is relatable to the marriage. The expression "at or about the time of marriage" has to be properly construed to include such property which is given at the time of marriage as also the property given before or after marriage to the parties to become their "joint property", implying thereby that the property can be traced to have connection with the marriage. All such property is covered by Section 27 of the Act.'

Here I suggest to @ queriest  to get allowed an Amendment in his written statement as well as file a Petition at an appropriate proceeding moment under S. 27 HMA while rephrasing his prayer to make provisions in the Decree to dispose co-ownership of equal share – value – price of joint cheque of parties presented by FIL at the time of marriage to both parties in accordance with S. 66 of India Evidence Act as then lead by respondent husband to meet end to justice instead of creating duplicity - multiplicity of proceeding citing above half a dozen citations.

Note
 here if you pray as per the suggestion then get re-framed the ISSUE and the ISSUE could sound nearest to like this as eg. "Whether the defendant is entitled to retain co-ownership of joint cheque given by FIL by way of counter claim or in the alternative to its co-share value? If so, its effect"   Check with your advocate about wordings of the Issue being framed as what he feels comfortable as framed Issue and then act you will succeed [dismissing her counter claim of some invisible gifts she is putting you under stress currently ;-)]

[Last reply]

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Ramesh pawar

Hi

I & my wife was presented a joint gift cheque at the time of marriage by my father in law. But that was later cancelled by my father in law by duping me. 

My wife files a divorce and they are making tall claims of gifts and valuables. While I have not received anything.I am being threatened of criminal proceedings on the same. 

I have proof of the  of a/c payee cheque. That was no way credited to any of my accounts. Can I make counter claim ? I feel I am duped of this rightful ownership  and now being falsely implicated . 

Do I have rightful ownership as per section 27 of the HMA act 1955.

regards

Ramesh

Looks like you were in deep sleep.  When your FIL cancelled the cheque, you should have taken appropriate steps to file cheque bounce case against FIL.  You kept quite out of courtesy, and now they are digging a pit for you.

With a cancelled cheque, what will you do with its ownership?

Yes of course, when FIL and co are making tall claims that they paid you blah blah blah, you can show the same details that the cheque was cancelled by the FIL and that you did not receive a naya paisa from your FIL and co towards anything.  Very important document it is and will save you from further legal embarassment.  Further if you had planned it properly, and file a cheque bounce case against FIL, it would be bingo time for you now and your FIL could not have all this to you, on the contrary he would be cooling his heels in jail.

Acchai ka zamana beet gaye tees paintees saal hogaye, and you woke up now.

Santosh kumar (lect)     28 October 2014

Hi Tajobsindia Thanks for the reply. Can you please elaborate the point 6 and Note section of your reply. So that I can check with the lawyer. regards Ramesh

Santosh kumar (lect)     29 October 2014

Hello all 

Please advice here, I desperately need advice here. Is it appropriate to seek under sec 27 of the HMA act . Or the mere duping me by canceling the cheque that was handed over at the time of wedding can be considered as criminal offense. IPC 406 is applicable here ?

I actually don't want any money . I just want that I get a clean chit without any further extortion from me. I just want to use as a bargaining chip and get out of this mess.

regards

Ramesh.

K.K.Ganguly (Advocate)     29 October 2014

1. Gift is not completed till it is handed over and accepted. In the instant case, crediting the amount in your accounts completes the process of gift, if it is a gift at all,

2. If the gift proposed was withdrawn before being completed, it can not be called in any way being duped,

3. On the otehrhand your FIL may allege that you demanded dowry which was paid but you demanded more for which he refused to honour his cheque,

4. Your claim for payment of the said dishonoured gift cheque will not have good ground legally.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     29 October 2014

Advocate Mr. Ganguly''s findings in your case seems to be absolutely right.  If you claim this gift, it may turn the table against you for dowry harassment, think well before proceeding with legal option.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register