Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Bhupinder Singh (Advisor)     02 July 2014

Sarfaesi act

Dear Law Experts, 

I took a loan from a private bank in 2004 worth Rs. 5 Lakh and after five EMI's paid I applied for an enhancement of Rs. 2 Lakh. For this purpose I gave the bank 13 EMI Cheques and from 2 Lakhs I was disbursed Rs. 1,90,000. After this bank never disbursed remaining 10K loan amount and also never presented any EMI Cheque to my bank. I approached bank many times and also wrote them through registered post. Instead after almost one year bank issued me a legal notice for pending amount. I replied through a lawyer and stated clearly that bank should present my EMI cheques to the bank but bank never replied the same. After this almost 9 years are passed. I had many meetings with bank officials but they always demanded pending money with interest and fines. But not even a single time they presented any EMI cheque to may bank or explained any reason for not doing the same. Now bank has issued me a Symbolic Possession Notice and demanded almost 3.5 times of principal amount claiming it is 5 Lakhs. When I told them that my loan amount is 5+2=7 Lakhs they stopped talking. I approached again to a known bank employee but he insisted to deposit Rs. 8 Lakhs immediately to proceed further. 

Now I want to know a simple question that before allowing any bank to issue such a derogatory notice and to take such a hard step doesn't RBI or DRT ask bank to check its record properly? Doesn't RBI or DRT see who is at fault? In such a case that I always was ready to pay the EMI and I gave the bank valid 13 cheques which bank neither presented to my account nor explained the reason, what should I do? 

Learning

1 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     05 July 2014

Was the notice under sarfesi act or general demand notice?, how long is the loan amount pending ?, whether there was any correspondence between you and the bankers in the last three years except the latest notice, i.e., if there was no communication from the bank for more than 3 years demanding the loan amount, the demand may be barred by limitation.  Consult a lawyer and discuss all these issues.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register