LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Amit (SQA)     28 April 2014

Salary issues.

1. I have served my organization for 4.8 years. Am i eligible for gratuity?

2. i have resigned in March and April 2 was my last working day. THe salary of Jan and Feb months was already on hold for all the employees. Other employees got the previous salaries in March but since i was on notice period, i did not get my salary of Jan and Feb. Not my notice period was over on April 2, 2014 but still i have not got my salary of Jan, Feb and March. I have followed up many times and not solid assurance is given by the organization. It's an educational institute. What other options i have? Can i go legal on them?

Learning

3 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     28 April 2014

Even teachers are eligible for Gratuity.

Are you a teacher?

If yes teachers are not covered as ‘Workman’ as in ID Act.

Is it a private educational inst for profits?

If yes it might have registered under (Name of the state) Shops and Commercial Establishments Act and you might get covered as ‘Employee’ as defined in this Act. Thus you may succeed to lodge complaint with  Inspector/Chief Inspector, and also Inspector under Payment of Wages Acxt. The Labor Inspector in local o/o Labor Commissioner may be officiating as Inspector under these enactments. One of the jobs of the Inspector is to ensure that FNF dues of the separated employee are paid in time. The day for payment of FNF wages is last day in  office, or within next 3 days or max. by usual pay day.

You may also go thru Sec13-18 of Model Standing Orders also.

Payment of Gratuity Act 1972; Sec:2A (1), (2) (a) (i) (ii), 7

Any  approved leave, holidays, off days are counted in service period and for Gratuity also.

Notice period served by employee is also counted in service period.

If your establishment works for 6/or less days (say5) per week and you have worked for 240/190 in each year you shall be eligible. Hence if you work for 240/190 days in any year and last year (say5th) then you are eligible. If you work up to 2nd Aug, 2014 and have completed 240/190 days in 5th year  you should be eligible!

Gratuity is 15 days wages/365 days of year……………….(Basic+DA…..as per last drawn wages).

Since 2012 was leap year hence you should start counting 365 days from DOJ and then count 240/190 days in 5th year.count

You can submit FormI 1 month before the date of retirement chosen by you (resignation/last date in office/expiry of notice period), of course under proper acknowledgment.

Even if the employee has not made any application employer has to make the payment within 30 days of becoming eligible (last date in office in your case) or tender interest @10%pa.

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/display.asp?cat_id=9&forum_id=49#.U14sL0eBmXU

e.g:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Clarity-between-gratuity-eligibility-service-5-or-4-8-yrs--28768.asp#.U14sTkeBmXU

and

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Teacher-s-salary-problem-101470.asp#.U14vsEeBmXU

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Dispute-regarding-resignation-and-notice-pay-70662.asp#.U1z_u0eBmXU

Your lawyer may ask you a set of structured questions and can opine that whether you shall be covered as ‘Workman’ as in ID Act,’Employee’ as in (Name of your state) Shops and Commercial Establishments Act or not?

You may show the job advt., job application, interview call letter, selection letter, offer letter, appointment letter, bond if any , resignation, acceptance of resignation and any other relevant communication to a competent and experienced labor consultant/service lawyer and give inputs in person……………………spend quality time with your lawyer and proceed under expert advise of your lawyer.

The lawyer has examined the details and documents in person can advise you the best.

Amit (SQA)     28 April 2014

It is an educational institute registered in Noida, U.P. as an educational trust.

I have appointment letter, offer letter, resignation acceptance letter (photocopy).

Kumar Doab (FIN)     28 April 2014

You have not replied to:

Are you a teacher?

Is the establishment registered under (Name of the state) Shops and Commercial Establishments Act ? In UP this enactment is named as ‘U.P. Dookan aur Vanijya Adhisthan Adhiniyam, 1962‘. If it is registered then the registration certificate should have been displayed near entrance.

You may go thru Sec; 2(4,6,7,10,13A,18),3,13,19,20,30,32

and rules framed under the Act named as;

The U.P. Dookan Aur Vanijya Adhishthan Niyamavali, 1963

You may go thru : State Education Act and rules set by Directorate of Education of the state.

Approach your lawyer. The lawyer has examined the details and documents in person can advise you the best.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register