LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vipul Somani (Teacher)     24 June 2012

S 8(1)(i) of rti act 2005

Can a statutory University deny information under S.8 (1)(i) of RTI Act. Some information was sought by me from a University where I am employed. A departmental inquiry is being counducted against me. When asked through the inquiry committee University denies parting with important documents saying they are  not relevant. When same information is sought under RTI, University replies information cannot be given as per provisions of S. 8(1) (h) and (i). Can any body help me what to do to get the information from the University?

Learning

1 Replies

revribhav (Hindi)     22 May 2014

You may file first appeal to departmental appellate authority  stating  in the appeal that you are affected by denial of right to information.

"Under Section 4(1)(d) of the RTI Act, it is mandated that every public authority shall provide reasons for its administrative or quasi-judicial decisions to affected persons

Section 22 of the RTI Act expressly provides that the provisions of the RTI Act shall have effect notwithstanding anything inconsistent therewith contained in the Official Secrets Act, 1923, and any other law for the time being in force or in any instrument having effect by virtue of any law other than the RTI Act.

It may also be stated that information that cannot be denied to parliament cannot be denied to you as a citizen of india

A proviso is inscribed at the bottom of Section 8(1) which states that… Provided that the information which cannot be denied to the Parliament or a State Legislature shall not be denied to any person.”

relevant URL;

https://www.moneylife.in/article/rti-judgement-series-pio-of-cbi-failed-to-justify-denial-of-information/34422.html

https://www.moneylife.in/article/information-that-cannot-be-denied-to-parliament-cannot-be-denied-to-you-and-me-but-does-it-happen/31065.html

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register