LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sreenath   23 June 2017

Right s of daughter on partition property

Hi, My father got his share of the property through partition deed along with his brothers. All this property was purchased when they were in a joint family and was not inherited from ancestors. Now my father wants to divide this among the 3 sons and 2 daughters..as per his desire,but the daughters are not agreeing asking for equal share in all the properties. Since daughters are not agreeing..he wants to write a gift deed to sons. Could you please tell whether daughters have equal rights on this property and if they file a case ..will it be valid. Thanks

Learning

10 Replies

Raveena Kataria (Advocate )     23 June 2017

If the property divided during the partition between the father and his brothers was joint family property, the father's sons and daughters will be coparceners and would have an equal right to demand for partition. After the HSA amendment in 2005, section 6 essentially lays down that daughters, same as sons, have a right in HUF by birth, and thus are to be allotted the same share as the sons. The rule of survivorship has been abolished. So yes, the case made by the daughters would be perfectly valid.

Sreenath   23 June 2017

Thank you madam for the reply. Have the below doubt.pleae clarify. Does the property share my father got through partition deed(not ancestor inherited, but purchased by him and his brothers together during joint family) along with his brothers become a self acquired property. If it becomes a self acquired property..then do the daughters have equal right on the self acquired property also. Please clarify.thanks

If the property was acquired by the father after the birth of sons and daughters and (thus) not ancestral, he is open to deal with the property just as he pleases. The daughters' contention would fail. However, please note, self acquired property can attain the color of ancestral property if it is thrown into the pool of ancestral properties and enjoyed in common by the family. (The daughters' contention would then again be valid if this appears to be the case.)

Sreenath   23 June 2017

Thanks..so as I understand the the property share my father got after partition deed with his brothers is as good as self acquired property.please let me know whether am correct.

You are correct, so long as your father and brothers did not inherit, but acquired that property, through their individual capacity and efforts and without the aid of family funds.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 June 2017

If partition is valid/registered, then afterwards nature of property may be self acquired.

The owner can dispose the self acquired property in his life time by a valid/registered deed in anyone’s favor.

1st of all get all property related documents, mutation records and link docs and evidence of joint property being enjoyed in common or self acquired property being thrown in ancestral pool…………………….and show all docs and inputs with a very able local senior counsel of unshakable repute and integrity specializing in  revenue/succession/civil matters for a considered opinion.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 June 2017

If the considered opinion is that property in the hands of father is self acquired then:

-- you have the option to accept share as decided by father, take possession and later if you have any heartburn approach court and litigate upto apex court be happy with the decision of court.

Don’t sign any registered family agreement.

During litigation there might be some chance of some amicable settlement or NO settlement at all.

-- you have the option to accept share as decided by father, take possession and be happy with it.

If the considered opinion is that property in the hands of father is joint/HUF/ancestral then:

---- you have the option to accept share as decided by father, take possession and later file for partition.

Don’t sign any registered family agreement.

-- you have the option to not to accept share as decided by father and file for partition.

Your own counsel may also appraise you on his/her strategy.

You may apply your own judgment and decide what is suitable to you.

Prefer to consult and avoid acting on your own.

Sreenath   23 June 2017

Thank you Kumar sir..My father is ready to write a will for this..and myself and one of my brother(among 3 brothers and 2 sisters) is ok for that..can my father go ahead and write a will and register it..as per his desire. Thanks

Sreenath   23 June 2017

My father is also ready to write a gift deed for our share(myself and one of my brother).. leaving behind the daughters share and another brothers share in his will. Could you please advise whether he can do this. Thanks

Kumar Doab (FIN)     24 June 2017

The owner can dispose his estate/property by a valid/registered deed in his/her life time.

The owner can bequeath by WILL.

It is better to register the WILL. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register