Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SOURABH GUPTA (PROFESSIONAL)     21 September 2011

Revocation of power of attorney

My query wth my expert friends is that:-

1. Whether the revocation of power of attorney is mandatory or optional..Whatever the matter of P.O.A. is????/

2. If revocation is mandatory then whether it should be on stamp paper or on any legal size green paper or should be signed by same person or any other person duly authorised.

3. What should be the cost of stamp paper in that case and in whose favour it should be purchased.

I waiting for the reply of my learned members.

Regards

Learning

11 Replies

HARSH GUPTA (ADVOCATE)     21 September 2011

Dear Saurabh 

As the statutes are as silent as to when a power of attorney can be revoked, but there are some case laws accordingly that the position of revocability of power of attorney is well settled in our country. 

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     21 September 2011

If it is regd., then it should be cancelled by executing the regd., cancellation deed, if not publication in the local news paper or widely ciruclated news paper regarding cancellation of PA is necessary.  You have to issue notice to the PA holder informing him regarding the cancellation of PA along with  the paper publication.

(Guest)

Yes Adv Rajeev is right, i agree with him.

jeetendra patel (lawyer)     21 September 2011

Dear colleagus I have slight different opinion here.If alongwith power of attorney any supplymentary document is there like agreement to sale or developement agreement  and consideration is given to the person giving power of attorney,then power of attoeney cannot be cancelled either by public notice /legal notice of termination or/by cancellation deed . In this case power of attorney can be cancelled only by order of the court by filing suit for declaration and consequential reliefs.

G.SUBRAMANIYAN,CHENNAI (ADVOCATE)     24 September 2011

Patel seems to be right.My opiniion on this is also the same.

SOURABH GUPTA (PROFESSIONAL)     26 September 2011

So Sirs, if the P.O.A. is not regd. then can we revoke it through the same person who has issued it ? from 100 Rs. stamp paper or of less amount.

Nanchill J Rajkumar, M.A., M.L (Advocate)     28 September 2011

Dear Member,

In Tamilnadu Power of Attorney should be registered if you are appointing an agent to purchase or sell a property.

Regarding cancellation/revocation, it can be cancelled/revoked by mutual consent of both parties by making a revocation deed registered before the same sub-registrar where the power was registered.

If the agent is not available in station the executor of the power of attorney can cause an intimation to the agent expressing his/her interest to cancell the power of Attorney and can revoke the deed by getting registered before the same sun-registry where the power was registered. Subsequently proper public notice can be given in two news papers (one shall be vernacular news paper) locally well circulated.

With regard to power of attorney where consideration has been passed on it can not be revocked unilaterally. It can be revoked on mutual consent of the parties.

Power of Attorney is not valid when a person executed the power document is not alive.

Hope i have thrown much light on this matter.

Regards

Nanchill J Rajkumar

Meera sahib (Individual Financial advisor)     16 October 2011

what is the period of validity of power of attorney .

Cawas (Owner)     20 April 2012

Dear Members

I wanted to sell my flat in Mumbai. I approached my sister and got a Power Of Attorney registered in Gujarat. This POA specifically mentioned that the POA is granted to me for selling the flat to the specific buyers(the buyers names were mentioned). Now I am unable to reach any form of agreement with them related to sale of my property. The buyers have also kept the original POA with them. On the original POA that was registered in Gujerat neither my name or my signature was taken at the time of registration. Please tell me what I should do? Will a renouncing of my POA suffice. My sister would not mind helping me with it. Please answer.

Cawas (Owner)     22 April 2012

Hi

I would like to renounce the Power of Atoorney granted to me by my sister. Can you please tell me the procedure. Secondly is there a format of notice or whatever that I can send her for renouncing power of attorney rather thatn her revoking it.

Regards

Cawas

Kishore   09 September 2019

Hello,

I know this thread is quite old but I am after the a confirmation of the PoA that has been notarized. the PoA holder hasn't given a copy of the PoA to the person who gave the PoA at all. The PoA has been registered and notiraized I have been told.

Where does the client stand. Would the client require to create "Rovocation of Power of Attorney" to be regisered and notarized and distribute to the parties - like banks, building secratary?

thank you in advance.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register