LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Bina (freelancer)     26 July 2013

Reversement of adoption

Is it possible to reverse adoption ?  my friend and her husband adopted a baby girl from an orphanage on the insistence of parents because they did not have children and it was effecting their marriage, later it was discovered the husband has some psychological problems. He left home with the child without informing his wife, filed for a divorce from some other city, wants  maintenance for himself and the child because his wife is in a job . He wants her to give it in writing that she has no right over the child, under the circumstances can the wife ask for reversal of adoption as she fears her husband will exploit the girl child. Please advise.

Learning

4 Replies

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     26 July 2013

Adoption cannot be cancelled as such. Ask your friend to file for custody of the child if she feels that the child is not safe with her adoptive father.

Bina (freelancer)     26 July 2013

Thank you so very much for addressing my query. Can she also ask for restraining orders against her husband as she feels he will try every which way to take the child away ?

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     27 July 2013

I agree with Ms. Archana that adoption is irrevocable. However, divorce, maintenance from working wife (your friend) and custody of the child are to be dealt separately and not collectively, as per their own merits.

Bina (freelancer)     27 July 2013

Thank you Dr. Vashishta, I went thru the adoption deed it says it is irrevocable,  the said child has right to parent's and their  ancestral property too. I don't think she is entitled to maintenance infact her husband wants to demand maintenance from her.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register