Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prema Inba (Writer)     04 September 2017

Resigned as per appointment letter, mgmt refuse resignation

Hi All,

I joined a start-up in the january of 2017. The total employee count is around 10. I pretty much enjoyed the work but found the management tyle to be very unprofessional. There were days I felt not to go to office due to the hostile environment. I raised this issue with my boss (one of the founder) on three occassions in person. They agreed to rectify and promised they would take care of the management style. And during the last conversation (a month before I quit the job) I clealry informed them during the conversation that I would quit if the working condition does not improve. I waited for a month and since nothing changed, I sent out an email announcing my resignation with immediate effect with no notice period. I also mentioned that I am quitting due to unsafe work environment which is not safe for my personal being. I did so after reading the appointment letter carefully. The appointment letter has the below regarding probation and confirmation:

The initial three months of your employment will be deemed as a Probationary Period during which time either party may, without furnishing reason, terminate the employment with no liability other than for the time worked. The management reserves the right to reduce / dispense with or extend your probation period at it’s absolute discretion. Upon successful completion of the probationary period, you will be notified in writing.

My employer never gave me any confirmation letter (till the date I resigned i.e, 10 months) after the completion of three months. When I brought up this during casual conversations they brushed it off. So my understanding is that since they havent provided me a confirmation letter, I am still on probation and since I am on probation I am free to terminate/resign my employment with them without notice. I have infomred this clause to my employer in the resignation email. But they seem to not agree to this and have asked me they would take legal steps. Can someone please let me know if my understanding is correct and also what are the precautions, steps I could take if they come up with a legal notice/action?

Learning

2 Replies

(Guest)

Threat won't mature. In the absence of clarity in their own documents/ record, they won't come forward with any legal action.

Prema Inba (Writer)     04 September 2017

Thank you @Jigyasu. In this case how do I set an ultimum to them to provide me with a relieving letter and other documents?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register