Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

yog raj (nn)     18 December 2013

Resignation without serving notice period

Hi ,

I have resigned from my previous organization without serving a notice period of two months as mentioned in my appt. letter because of unavoidable personal and family issues, The time when I resigned I was having 23 Earned leaves in my account, which they have adjusted in my last month for which they have already given me salary and adjusted it after 16 days of my resignation.

Now they are asking me to serve notice period of two months, which I can not,

Kindly suggest me what I can do in this case? can they take some legal action against me

Learning

8 Replies

RAVIKUMAR V (GROUP B OFFICER)     18 December 2013

SIR MY SISTER HAS BEEN SHORTLISTED FOR BANK PO INTERVIEW. AT THE TIME OF EXAMINATION MY SISTER WAS NOT EMPLOYED ANYWHERE ?

LAST WEEK SHE GOT  JOINED IN BANK CLERICAL POST.

2 DAYS BACK INTERVIEW ANNOUNCEMENT CAME.

INTERVIEW DATE WILL BE 5 JAN 2013

THE NEW BANK IS HESITATE TO PROVIDE NOC SINCE SHE IS NEW ?

RESIGNATION NOTIFICATION TIME PERIOD IS 14 DAYS FOR THEM.

KINDLY  REPLY ME THE POSSIBLE PROCEDURE TO GET NOC ?

OR 

REASON FOR NOT HAVING NOC ?

PLEASE

THANKS IN ADVANCE

RAVI

Kumar Doab (FIN)     18 December 2013

Employee should tender some reasonable notice of resignation and submit company property under proper acknowledgment, perform handover of charge under proper acknowledgment, and must mention in notice of resignation/subsequent communications that no task/assignment is pending at his end.

The notice of resignation and subsequent communications should be carefully structured so as to build favorable written record to suit long term interest of employee, and be sent by letter addressed to good offices of appointing authority, MD etc, thru redg. post.

If the tasks of the employee that has resigned are unfinished due to which employer may suffer some financial or other kind of loss and employee is unwilling to indemnify the employer then employer may emphasize to serve the notice period.

This is a point employee should always handle successfully.

You have posted that:

----“ I have resigned from my previous organization .................... because of unavoidable personal and family issues,”

It is a valid reason for separation.

-----“ Now they are asking me to serve notice period of two months, which I can not,”

Resignation can be without permission or notice.

If it is stated in appointment letter that notice pay in lieu of notice period can be tendered then this is the max. amount employee has to tender.

Is it stated in appointment letter that if employer initiates separation ( by termination) then employer can tender notice period or notice pay in lieu of it.

IN employment contract the service conditions should be equitable.

If these are not contract of employment can easily be termed arbitrary, unfair and void to that extent.

------“ can they take some legal action against me’

Citing clauses of the employment letter they may demand payment of notice pay, proceed to initiate recovery.

However a court case in majority of the cases seems unlikely as it may open Pandora’s  box and skeletons may roll out as employee and his lawyer may also open fronts.

Trade unions are also unforgiving in such cases.

It is yet to be seen the notice period of 2 months is infact applicable in your case or not.

The notice period is part of service conditions and is stated in standing orders (Certified/Model) applicable to the company and extended to the designation of employee, which have statutory force and being instrument of law shall always prevail upon any private agreement that employer might have signed with employee e.g......................................appointment letter/contract of appointment/service agreement/bond etc........................

The employer (owner/MD etc) is personally held responsible for faithful observance of standing orders.

The notice period/pay is also stated in Shops and Commercial Establishments Act of the state and applicable to the establishment.

It is not more than 1 month in these enactments.

Submit final resignation and do not let the company claim that you are abstaining/absenting/absconding.

Instead of remaining entangled in conversations with Heads and others approach in writing under proper acknowledgment by redg. post preferably, the good offices of appointing authority, MD, Chairman, and citing performance, contribution demand waiver of notice period.

The good offices can waive off.

Contest the allegation if any successfully and do not hesitate to approach your labor consultant/service lawyer and must obtain acknowledgment of having received resignation, acceptance of resignation, the original and correct FNF statement as hard copy under seal and signature by hand of the competent employee for verification and acceptance by you, Form 16 as per correct FNF statement, payment of earned wages and FNF dues by bank DD only,  service certificate, relieving letter ( with good comments. Avoid without comments and with adverse comments) , NOC/NDC, PF number/account slips of entire period of service, ESIC card, Insurance card, salary slip of last month and all month’s of service, etc...

In case of dispute employee can approach:

-Lawyer/law firm: A legal notice can help to drill sense into the heads. You may request your lawyer to include the HR personnel, this Head, appointing authority, CEO, Chairman, MD in list of noticees............

Designation alone does not decide employee is covered as ‘Employee’ as in Shops and Commercial Establishments Act, and ‘Workman’ as in ID Act....................

Your lawyer may ask you a set of structured questions and may opine that you are covered.

If you are not covered then your lawyer may like to examine job advertisement, appointment letter, service codes and regulation applicable in the establishment.

Your lawyer may advice in such a case to send cheque for payment of notice pay ( ideally @ Basic+DA) and demand that a proper receipt be issued and notice pay be adjusted in FNF statement and FNF amounts be reduced and form 16 be issued as per net amounts after adjustment of notice pay.

Courts do not restrict themselves to appointment letter alone.

-Trade Unions/ Employees Unions: They know precise ways to handle such issues

-Inspector under Shops and Commercial Establishments Act; 

-o/o Labor commissioner

-Civil Court.

venu (PL)     20 December 2013

Sir, I have been working for an BPO, my appoitment letter mentioning "60days notice period or basic salary in lie thereof as liquidated damages however company may use its discretion from case to case basis". now i got a better opportunity and i put my resignation, asking to relieve in 30 days and ready to pay basic salary. but my company is not leaving me.

here is my resignation

Dear Sir,

Due to some unavoidable circumstances on personal reasons, I hereby tender my resignation to the post of process leader with effect from 17th Dec’13.

I request the authorities kindly to accept my resignation with effect from 17th Dec’13 and relieve me in 30 days, and requesting you to guide me in HR procedures for relieving in 30 days.

please help me in this.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     20 December 2013

@ Venu

Always initiate a new thread.

It is felt that you should consult elders in the family, competent and experienced well wishers, lawyer/law firm, employees/trade union leaders,  for drafting notice of resignation, subsequent communications, final resignation and also to negotiate the matter so as to get relieved properly and will due documents.

It shall be appropriate to insert in notice of resignation, subsequent communications, final resignation that you have affirmed to handover charge/company property (if any), no task is pending at your end and also to prepare a list of payables by you to company and by company to you (ask to confirm it) and thus build a favorable record in writing that nothing is due at your end but is due at the end of employee.

Is it stated in appointment letter issued to you that if employer initiates termination then employee may use his discretion to accept notice pay in lieu of notice or to complete serving the full notice period.........................????

BPO are under Shops and Commercial Establishments Act and standing orders are applicable.............

Model Standing Orders:

13.         Termination of employment: .--(1) For terminating employment of a permanent workmen, notice in writing shall be given either by the employer or the workmen - one month’s notice in the case of monthly-rated workmen and two weeks’ notice in the case of other workmen:

(2)           No temporary workman whether monthly-rated, weekly-rated or piece-rated and no probationer or badli shall be entitled  to any notice or  pay in lieu thereof if his services are terminated

16. Certificate on termination of service.--Every permanent  workman shall be entitled to a service certificate at the time of his dismissal, discharge or retirement from service.

NOTE. - There is a provision under  this  Act for issuing a service certificate at the time of  dismissal, discharge or retirement and every person is entitled to take such certificate.

17. Liability of 17[employer].--The [1][employer] of the establishment shall personally be held responsible for the proper and faithful observance of the standing orders.

Standing Orders shall prevail; upon any private agreement that employer has drafted and has signed with employee e.g; appointment letter, contract of employment, service agreement, bond etc.......................

Any T&C in appointment letter that is inconsistent with standing order would not survive.

Notice period is also stated in (Name of your state) Shops and Commercial Establishments Act and it is not more than 1 month.

Notice period in model standing orders is max. 1 month in case of confirmed employee and NIL in case of probationer.

Do not look at appointment letter alone.

Enough has been discussed in this thread and there are many threads on similar matter e.g;

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Company-not-willing-to-accept-my-resignation-94221.asp#.UrRf6dIW1MA

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Employer-not-issuing-experience-certificate-93887.asp#.UrRhVdIW1MA

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Standing-orders-442266.asp#.UrRicdIW1MA

Seek help to understand the matter and ten take up and resolve with company and if required approach lawful authorities pointed out in these threads.

venu (PL)     21 December 2013

sir, could you please advice me what is the further steps to be taken by me. do i hv to send a final resignation. am chennai based can u give any lawyer contact who can help me in this.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     21 December 2013

@ Venu,

It has already been suggested that:

---- you should consult elders in the family, competent and experienced well wishers, lawyer/law firm, employees/trade union leaders,  for drafting notice of resignation, subsequent communications, final resignation and also to negotiate the matter so as to get relieved properly and will due documents.

This was suggested looking the draft of your post and queries.

An employee that is not properly informed should not hesitate and must always consult and must not act on his own.

----BPO are under Shops and Commercial Establishments Act and standing orders are applicable.............

You shall note from following thread that BPO’s are themselves are now inquiring about framing certified standing orders.

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Standing-orders-442266.asp#.UrU1jNIW1MA

Regret do not know and can not suggest any lawyer at Chennai.

Mr. Sounder Rajan V from Chennai posts very informative articles at LCI.

e.g; at:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Staffing-and-recruiting-industry-legal-updates-27696.asp#.UrU0G9IW1MA

VS Rajan Associates,
Advocates & Notaries & Legal Consultants
No.27, Ist Floor, Singapore Plaza,
No.164, Linghi Chetty Street,
Chennai - 600 001.
E-mail : rajanassociates@eth,net,
Off : 044-42620864, 044-65874684,
Mobile : 9840142164-9025792684-9025792634

If you wish to avail the services of LCI lawyer you can conduct search at:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/lawyers_search/#.UrU0q9IW1MA

LCI is flasshing the related lawyer’s list on the bottom of this thread.

Your near and dear ones can also recommend a competent labor consultant/service lawyer to you.

The trade Unions also keep labor consultant/service lawyers on their panel. Therefore your union can also refer a good lawyer to you.

Kindly note that you shall need to settle your terms with your lawyer on your own.

Ramesh (SME)     05 April 2014

Hi All, 

I have over all 9.4 years of experience in IT support and because of some personal reasons I resigned from present organization and as per the company norms I need to serve notice of 90days, which I was ready to serve for smooth exit.

But HR and management team came up with a conclusion saying that , since resigned employ will not have much Interest in work and activities we would like to stop employ work with immediate effect with the notice served of 20 days and also for remaining 70 days the employ should pay for getting his reliving letter.

Kindly assist.

Regards

Ramesh

Kumar Doab (FIN)     06 April 2014

@Ramesh,

Did you supply notice of resignation with a copy to you and do you have its acknowledgment by company and POD, and did you state in it or in subsequent communication(s) in writing that you are willing to serve full notice period (and earn your wages)?

Has the company accepted the resignation before expiry of notice period, in writing?

Has the company demanded notice pay in writing and has it stated that otherwise relieving letter shall not be issued?

The stand of personnel in HR and management team is WRONG AND CAN BE TERMED ‘TRANSGRESSION’ AND EVEN ILLEGAL, UNLAWFUL IN THE LIGHT OF VARIOUS JUDGEMENTS DELEIVERED BY COURT OF LAW………………………….

However Employee should always proceed tactfully and should be smart.

Submit a written communication explaining that you have tendered notice of resignation as per clause number…………………………in appointment letter dated………………………….issued to you…………….and have affirmed to serve full notice period in it /or in person in office or vide subsequent communications by post and copy is attached………………….

You may submit a gentle communication addressed to good offices of appointing authority, MD, Chairman and mention that you have properly communicated that you want to serve full notice period and earn your wages. On dated……………………….Mr/Ms………………………..designation………………………name of company……………………..full address…………………….stated in office/in person/by email/by letter/ etc…………………that you shall not be allowed to serve full notice period, shall be relieved with immediate effect from dated……………………………and shall not be allowed to attend office/work thereafter from dated………………………..and no wages/notice pay from dated……………..to remaining period of notice period i.e. up to dated…………………..shall be paid. And request the good offices to allow you to serve full notice period and earn wages.

Remain gentle and amiable.

Resignation and such matters are personal matter and can be sent from personal email id, by post and ideally should be sent by letter thru redg. Post.

You may fine tune your representations as suitable to you and cover all imp. Points.

If you decide to not to agitate while in employment or till you get FNF, relieving letter then ensure that you get good comments in relieving letter (avoid without comments and with adverse comments), correct FNF statement, Form 16, service certificate, NOC/NDC, PF number, ESIC card, etc……………… and do not sign acceptance of FNF statement.

You can always write on FNF statement that it is not correct and not accepted.

The IT employees unions are doing a good job. Trade Unions are doing a good job for IT employees. Become their member.

IT/ITeS companies are covered by all labor laws/Laws of the land.

https://www.itecentre.co.in/

https://ithiworld.wikispaces.com/News+Update

IT/BPO Voice of India | Facebook

UNITES Professionals

www.unitespro.org

https://www.wbitsa.org/

www.itpfindia.org/

https://itnitesunion.wordpress.com/author/itnitesunion/

Shiv Mahiti Ani Tantradyan Sena(Shiv IT SENA)

mankar.janardan@gmail.com

https://www.shivsena.org

https://www.amrc.org.hk/node/1088         CBPOP

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/article/Indian-Journal-Industrial-Relations/185430721.html

https://bpo.knowledgehills.com/Directory/BPO-Jobs/CBPOP-Centre-for-BPO-Professionals.aspx

https://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-shiv-sena-forms-first-union-in-information-technology-sector-1465435

Supreme Court of India

Nand Keshwar Prasad vs Indian Farmers Fertilizers

https://www.indiankanoon.org/doc/1452145/?type=print

11. After giving our careful consideration to the facts and circumstances of the case, it appears to us that the law is well settled by this Court in a number of decisions that unless controlled by condition of service or the statutory provisions, the retirement mentioned in the letter of resignation must take effect from the date mentioned therein and such date cannot be advanced by accepting the resignation from an earlier date when the employee concerned did not intend to retire from such earlier date. It has also been held by this Court that it is open to the employee concerned to withdraw letter of resignation before the same becomes effective.

Attached File : 1001903016 nand keshwar prasad vs indian farmers fertilizers.docx downloaded: 145 times

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register