LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

srinivas (jao)     10 February 2015

Resignation

I worked for 4 years 271 days in Railways and resigned.

Now i claimed gratuity since 4.8 years is to be treated as 5 years for i.e. elilgible period for claiming gratuity under gratuity act.

But Railway Admn. rejected my claim quoting Rule 70(1)a of Railway Servant Pension Rule, 1993, which allows gratuity only on completion of 5 years qualifying service.

Pl guide me in this regard.  Whom to approach.  What is the remedy.

Learning

2 Replies

Mohammed Ameenuddin (Sr. Legal Manager)     14 February 2015

Yes, you have to complete 5 years of continuous services as per Railways Pension Rules 1993 to claim any benefit from Railways.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     14 February 2015

The Gratuity Rules applicable to railways:

RAILWAY SERVICES (PENSION) RULES-1993

The rule 70 {(1)(a)} quoted by you links to the Rule 69 and as per it:

69.������ Amount of pension � (1) In the case of a railway servant retiring in accordance with the provisions of these rules before completing qualifying service of ten years, the amount of service gratuity shall be calculated at the rate of half month�s emoluments for every completed six-monthly period of service.

https://www.indianrailways.gov.in/railwayboard/uploads/codesmanual/pensionrule/Default.htm

You may visit a lawyer well versed with Railway's Rules, precedences in such maters, railway Board's decisions and judgments and proceed under expert advise of your lawyer... 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register