LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Arunima Saha   17 December 2016

Removal of husband's name from aadhar card of separated wife

I got married in 2013 and was forced out of my matrimonial residence in early 2014. Soon my husband filed for divorce on grounds of cruelty. He is all set to lose the case. But I know he and his parents will never allow me to enter my matrimonial house.

In Dec 2013 I had enrolled for my AADHAR card which contains my husband's name. But now since I am destined for life-long separation from my husband, I want to remove his name from my AADHAR card and keep only "daughter of" (my father's name). Is it possible for a separated (but not divorced) woman to remove her husband's name from AADHAR card? If not, is it possible to get a court order to remove a deserting husband's name from AADHAR card without getting legally divorced? I have SMS, emails, postal letters and other evidences which confirm desertion.

Learning

10 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     17 December 2016

For Identification in respective records; D/o,W/o as per set rules is used.

After the decree of divorce it might be possible.

Isn't it same query:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/details.asp?mod_id=145231&offset=0

Pls continue in one thread.  

In case of Pan card it is father's name for even married daughters.

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Arunima Saha
I got married in 2013 and was forced out of my matrimonial residence in early 2014. Soon my husband filed for divorce on grounds of cruelty. He is all set to lose the case. But I know he and his parents will never allow me to enter my matrimonial house.

In Dec 2013 I had enrolled for my AADHAR card which contains my husband's name. But now since I am destined for life-long separation from my husband, I want to remove his name from my AADHAR card and keep only "daughter of" (my father's name). Is it possible for a separated (but not divorced) woman to remove her husband's name from AADHAR card? If not, is it possible to get a court order to remove a deserting husband's name from AADHAR card without getting legally divorced? I have SMS, emails, postal letters and other evidences which confirm desertion.

If you want to get husbands name removed from passport/aadhar card/ration card following options,

1.  Death certificate, in case of his death from corporation or muncipal council or registrar of births and death.

2.  In case of divorce, certified copy of divorce decree from Family Court who granted you divorce.

Without such removing name of husband is not possible from any of the above mentioned documents.

Agreed.

Another option is in case of death.

Arunima Saha   17 December 2016

Thanks for ur replies.

The disturbing thing is that now AADHAR card is gradually becoming mandatory in every sphere of life, like bank accounts, EPF account, in workplace,etc. Soon AADHAR is going to be mandatory to get foreign visa too.

It is very disturbing to tag myself lifelong to a person (husband) with whom I will have no relation ever again. I can't afford to give mutual divorce either, because that would only pave the way for my husband's remarriage.

Now I wish to kick myself for inserting husband's name in an official document only after few months of marriage. Of course, he didn't update my name anywhere in his documents.

More irony is that, during enrollment, the AADHAR officials didn't want any proof of marriage from me - no marriage certificate, no proof of social marriage, nothing. They included my husband's name only on my verbal words. Now to remove his name, AADHAR department need proof of divorce/death of husband. How ironical! If they can't remove spouse's name without proper documents, how come they inserted spouse's name without any document??

Principle of Utmost faith.

And also why anyone shall post false information?

Moreover everyone is respnsible for any false information.

Samarpan (M)99958670740 (Free legal advice and legal aid cell)     18 December 2016

Your grievance is genuine.   There is also remedy.  A person is required to mention either her husband or father's name is to identify that person, as such names are quite common and to differentiate one from another.  What you have to do is to write an application to Aadhar card authority to delete the name of husband and to put your father's name in his place and describe you as D/o with a supporting document showing that you are the dauther (like 10th certificate etc.).  Waiting after 30 days, move the High Court under writ jurisdiction seeking the directions to the Aadhar card authorities for the necessary change.  You will definitely succeed. 

Pranali Sharma   12 May 2017

aadhar card bank link status check can be done in following ways just visit Check Aadhaar Linking Status with Bank page , Once you are on the page Check Aadhaar Linking Status with Bank, enter UID Number or Aadhaar Number and click on Verify button.

Bhavin Rafaliya   30 April 2021

It was quite good of you to write on "Removal of husband's name from aadhar card of separated wife”. I really appreciate your work. It was a very informative article. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register