Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Akhilesh Kumar Singh (Process Specilist)     14 December 2013

Relieving required from previous employer

Hi,

I am a Finance Executive. My question is regarding my previous organization of noida. I had worked for 2 years. In the organization, there is a notice period of 45 days or. But when I tendered my resignation, I asked for 7 days notice period that I wanted to serve. They did not agree for 7 days notice and asked me to serve whole notice period. On which I asked them to buy out 38 day’s salary, for which they did not agree. I had to leave the company after 7 day’s without being accepted my resignation.

There is condition in Appointment letter to serve three months’ notice period or payment on short notice period
But as I said I did not serve the notice period, after a month on many request they provided me relieving letter and F&F after short notice period amount adjustment. But after 6 months when my confirmation due in current company my HR told me that sufficient information are not available on my relieving letter. Then I requested to my previous company HR to provide revised relieving letter with required information, they have provided me revised letter but mention on email that as I did not served notice period they will relieve me and told me that I was marked absconded in their record.

On other side, I have this email communications between me and senior management as well as HR Director in which I have agreed to buy out my notice period if required. I have been a good performer during my tenure. Also, I have properly documented all my work and given proper handover to another employee. But somehow, the organization are not ready to even talk to me on notice period condition even though there is a clause of shortening the notice period if approved by senior management. But these people are stuck on notice period not even a day less.

Now the problem is, my current organization is asking for experience certificates/ relieving letters from all the companies I have worked for.

I just want to know if I am marked as absconded (and Also, they have even cleared my FNF by adjusting my leaves), do I have the right to receive the Experience letter or Service Letter which just states that I have worked in the organization for 2 years.

Learning

5 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     14 December 2013

What is this establishment: Commercial or Industrial?

How many employees are employed in it?

You have posted that:

----“do I have the right to receive the Experience letter or Service Letter which just states that I have worked in the organization for 2 years.”

Yes.

Model Standing Orders:

16.  Certificate on termination of service.--Every permanent  workman shall be entitled to a service certificate at the time of his dismissal, discharge or retirement from service.

NOTE. - There is a provision under  this  Act for issuing a service certificate at the time of  dismissal, discharge or retirement and every person is entitled to take such certificate.

17.  Liability of 17[employer].--The [1][employer] of the establishment shall personally be held responsible for the proper and faithful observance of the standing orders.

-----“There is condition in Appointment letter to serve three months’ notice period or payment on short notice period’

As per bilateral agreement signed by employer with you, you have opted to tender notice pay and company has adjusted it.

Employer can not violate the agreement.

-----“I had to leave the company after 7 day’s without being accepted my resignation.”

Resignation can be without permission or notice. Resignation is out of volition of employer and employee.

You have tendered resignation and company has adjusted notice pay.

-----“HR told me that sufficient information are not available on my relieving letter. “

they have provided me revised letter but mention on email that as I did not served notice period they will relieve me and told me that I was marked absconded in their record.”

“I have properly documented all my work and given proper handover to another employee. “

You have resigned and company has issued relieving letter, FNF statement and the conduct of HR and employer is bad.

You have not absconded.

Abscondment is misconduct. The company has to issue notice, show cause notice, proper hearing, natural justice before making adverse or false entries in its record.

It is falsification of the record.

14.          Disciplinary action for misconduct:

18.          Exhibition of standing orders.-

-----“In the organization, there is a notice period of 45 days or.”

“There is condition in Appointment letter to serve three months’ notice period”

It is to be seen the notice period of 3 months is applicable in your case or not.

Notice period/pay is part of service conditions and is stated in standing orders (Certified/Model) applicable to the company and extended to the designation of the employee.

Notice period stated in standing orders shall prevail upon appointment letter.

If it is NIL in standing orders it can not be even 1 day in appointment letter.

Notice period in model standing orders is max. 1 month.

Notice period is also stated in Shops and Commercial Establishments Act and it is not more than 1 month.

{ Uttar Pradesh Shops and Commercial Establishments Act} advocates adjustment of not more than 15 days notice pay whatever be the notice period in appointment letter issued by employer. Hence in your case the employer and its HR has violated the Act applicable to it.

U.P. Dookan aur Vanijya Adhisthan Adhiniyam, 1962

20.  Termination of employment by an employee

(2) Where an employee fails to comply with the provisions of sub-section (1), his unpaid wages for a period not exceeding fifteen days may be forfeited to his employer.

If company has committed transgression then it has deducted excess amounts and accordingly has defaulted on correct contribution of PF, ESIC, TDS, and Insurance etc....................

If standing orders are not applicable then you may get job advertisement, appointment letter, service rules, HR policy of the company, Shops and Commercial Establishments Act examined  by your lawyer.

----You may demand to examine your personnel file maintained by company and also certified copy of your service card.

----Is it stated in appointment letter that if employer initiates termination employee can demand to serve full notice period and decline to accept notice pay.

The T&C in contract of employment should be equitable.

Employee can approach:

-Lawyer/law firm: A legal notice can help to drill sense into the heads. You may request your lawyer to include the HR personnel, Manager Finance, appointing authority, CEO, Chairman, Directors, MD............

Designation alone does not decide employee is covered as ‘Employee’ as in Shops and Commercial Establishments Act, and ‘Workman’ as in ID Act....................

Your lawyer may ask you a set of structured questions and may opine that you are covered.

-Trade Unions/ Employees Unions: They know precise ways to handle such issues

-Inspector under (Name of your state) Shops and Commercial Establishments Act; 

-Inspector under Payment of Wages Act( applicable to all employees drawing wages as per def. of wages in the enactment up to Rs.18000/pm) :: The period to lodge complaint with Inspector under Payment of Wages Act is 1Y however to condone the delay is pleasure of the authority.

-RPFC, Addl. CPFC n the state, CPFC......................for PF

-Jurisdictional ESIC Inspector, for ESIC

-ITO-TDS where employee files ITR and Jurisdictional Cit-TDS where employer files ITR

-o/o Labor commissioner

-Civil Court.

There are threads to suggest that employees have been contemplating to lodge criminal complaint u/s 406,420..................

And to approach employer as creditors treating unpaid wages as debt on employer.

The company has resorted to tactics with maligned intentions and has kept you in dark.

The email record you have should be sufficient to call the bluff and deceit of company its HR, Directors.

Since the company and its HR is high headed adamant, recalcitrant, deceitful, cunning your gentle representations have not fetched you any relief.

It has extorted the monies.

You may without any hesitation approach your competent and experienced labor consultant/service lawyer.

Your lawyer should be able to get you clean and clear relieving from charge of abscondment.

Your lawyer may opine that a criminal complaint can also be filed.

Attached File : 521329892 se act up.doc, 521329892 model%20standing%20orders.doc downloaded: 126 times

Pragnesh R Patel (Sr. Executive - HR & IR)     16 December 2013

Respected Sir.

I have been working in HR department of MNC and looking after HR & IR profile. below mentioned is some points that i want to be guided.

one of our marketing guy with designation of Assistant Area Sales Manager At Jaipur who did not perform in accordance with the expectation of our management and we decided to terminate him. we already intimated him for the same as well but on his special request we expnaded it for a month. we informed him about our intentions in month of Nov and informed him that he will be relieved late by Dec 10. As per our appointment letter it is clearly mentioned that either of the party can stop the service with or without any prior notice subject to condition that party with such intention will have to buy out the notice pay.

we already had assured him that we will pay him 2 months salary in his Full and final settlement figure but he does not accept our condition and not rerturning the company amenities being provided to him to handle his work tactfully. Amenities such as data card, sim card, laptop etc....

what should we do in this case?????????/  he perpetually keeps thretening the company that he will file the criminal case and all.

please guide us in this matter.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     16 December 2013

You have posted that:

we already intimated him for the same

Since the matter is pertaining to performance in accordance with the expectation of the management, the variance in performance parameters may be supplied in writing and explanation be called for along with action plan.

Coaching be also be provided.

Thereafter if termination is effected you may have something to show.

Another option is that the employee might have not been able to firm up another employment.

It has been that sensible practice is that employee be asked to firm up next venture and resign.

In such a case is there is no heartburn to either party. There is no bad publicity.

Hence there is not litigation.

In state of Rajasthan the employees unions, IC’s are active and effective.

sanoj (Asst Manager.)     02 August 2014

Hello....

I have quit my organistion with a notice of 12 days over the requirement of 30.

I have submitted my resignation in the company portal & have also mailed accross the last working day.

My compnay threatens to claim that i am absconding & wants to forfeit my 1 months salary that i worked for.

Is there a law that they can do so?

Kumar Doab (FIN)     03 August 2014

@Sanoj,

You have not absconded and have resigned properly.

Company can adjust notice pay for shortfall in notice period and has pay for days worked in FnF statement/settlement.

Notice period of 30 days may not neccesarily applicable in your case to, as discussed above.

You can approach the authorities as discussed above.

In case of difficulties approach a lawyer in person.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register