Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

gurleen (ba)     03 February 2015

Relieve before notice period

Hi 

I am working for a private ltd company , I had resigned a month ago and my notice period is of 3 months.

I have asked for early release but the company is not willing to release me only because I am a billable resource at client.

I have to join another firm by end of this month which means I would have served 1 month and 15 days of notice.

The clause in my offer letter reads as " notice period is NOT adjustable with leave or with salary"

Does this mean There is no way to be released before my notice period ends, this would eventually leave me jobless.

I would request an early help, Thanks in advance.

Learning

5 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     03 February 2015

It does not matter whether you are billable source or something else………………you are employee of the establishment that has employed you and the establishment is under legal obligation to mention CORRECT service conditions  including notice period/pay in appointment letter issued to you.

There are many threads with similar queries::: e.g

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Resignation-with-serving-half-notice-period-116175.asp#.VNCfMy2qr5Y

The notice period of 90 days may not be necessarily applicable in your case!

This has been explained in length in many threads e.g.:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Resigned-but-employer-is-not-supportive-520111.asp#.VM9_tS2qr5Y

The notice period/notice pay  is part of service conditions that is governed by various enactments applicable to the establishment/employer/employee e.g. ( Name of the state) Shops and Commercial Establishments Act that was enacted to govern the service conditions of employees working in such establishments, standing orders……….. These being enactments/instrument of law/statue…. enacted as per law of the land, shall prevail upon any private agreement/policy/rule drafted by employer and signed with employee e.g. appointment letter/contract of employment/HR policy/service rules and regulations/service agreement etc……………and any service condition that is inconsistent with such enactments shall not survive…….

After going thru the above thread you may post other information that is relevant..

Your Labor Law Consultant/Service matters lawyer may ask you a set of structured questions and may opine that  you are covered by the def. of ‘Employee’ and ‘Workman’….

If you are unable to handle the matter on your own entrust it to your labor Law Consultant/service matters lawyer!

Are you a member of any employee’s/Trade Unions::::::If NO would you mind posting ::;Why? 

gurleen (ba)     03 February 2015

Thanks for advice, 

I read through the related post.

What I understand from your reply is that the mentioned clause in my offer letter is one sided. 

It leaves me with no option but to convince them to relieve me or else approach for a formal  legal help.

Thanks for replying.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     03 February 2015

Be Smart.

Become member of employee's/Trade Unions e.g. CITU/INTUC/AITUC/BMS................

Obtain attendance record/ communications even if by email from client stating that NO TASKS are pending at your end,appreciations,bill raised for your services by client to your employer.......etc...

Draft your communications addressed to good offices of appointing authority,MD and submitted under proper acknowledgment and demand all documents as suggested in these threads.........

Obtain acknowledgment/acceptance of resignation, service certificate,relieving letter.........and do not sign FnF statement if it is wrong.......

YOu can approach: Employee's unions/Labor Law consultant,Inspector appointed under (name of the state) Shops and Commercial establishments Act/Payment of wages Act, O/O Labor Commissioner....

citizenindian (project manager)     06 February 2015

Sir ,

I was following the thread about employees being harassed by employers through blacklisting and other unethical methods. I have some general queries regarding the young people falling prey to legal traps by the companies.

1. What is the legal validity of a written  undertaking given by an employee to agree to the nasty terms set by the employer or the recruiting agencies ,if it is forced on the employee?

2. Can "Giving a written undertaking " without a witness or under duress , be treated as a blanket permission granted to the party who forced it ,in a court of law ?

3.  Other than public authority like Courts , IT department , police  or other central/state Govt agencies , can any other organization summon the family members of employees under the excuse /guise of taking an undertaking from them ?

4. Can an organization unilaterally punish or blacklist an employee without giving him a chance to be represented by a professional , like auditor / lawyer ?

5. How an employee can protect his resume from meddling by companies without his knowledge ? Since companies have access to his resume in the skills database , they access it without his knowledge. There were instances where resumes were inflated by companies to attract clients and the employee was punished after verification !!! And , he did not even know that his resume was tampered with.

Regards,

citizenindian

Kumar Doab (FIN)     06 February 2015

I have posted about it in many threads.

You may log onto:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Labour-Service-Law.asp#.VNTTxc-qr5Y

At bottom on Right Hand Side there is a button for ‘Search Topics and Posts’…………

Type  the key words  and press ’GO’ and you can access lots of informations,attachments,publications,judgments attached in various threads………….

Why employees in your sector i.e. IT/ITeS suffer from such unscrupulous employers and their attorney’s in Line Managers/HR personnel?

Because they are not thoroughly united!!!!!!!

Now there are many IT/ITeS employee’s unions and many of the trade unions like CITU,INTUC,AITUC,BMS …………….and political parties like Shiv Sena have embraced them.

The employee’s unions have done good jobs too e.g. ending the blanket exemption granted to IT companies from the provisions of Industrial Employment Standing Orders Act…………………………compelling M/s TCS to backtrack from mass lay off (go thru news publications in Chennai and other cities)………………. making it mandatory to form GRC (Grievance Redressal Committee’s in all companies………………….declaration by NSR of Nasschom (national security registry) that they do not indulge in blacklisting of employees…………………..etc…

Are you aware that ‘Works Committee’ as in ID Act is an authority…………………….and it has equal number of members from employees and the President is from Employee’s?

The united employee’s can negotiate service conditions much better and can end their exploitation………………….coercion, intimidation,……..blackmailing!!!!!!

1.      The service conditions are governed by various enactments applicable to the employee/establishment/employer…………………………….and such enactments/instruments of law/statue shall prevail upon any private agreement/policy/rule………………….drafted by employer and signed with employee e.g. appointment letter/offer letter/HR policy/Service Rules and regulations/service agreement etc…………. 

While the employer would like to scream that NO One can rescind the contract signed by him/her………………………..the careful examination of the T&C may reveal that contract is unenforceable, unconscionable, unreasonable, illegal, void…………………….and courts can lift the veil……………………….

Until or unless the employer has incurred reasonable expenses on some certified training that adds to qualification of employee, or some extra ordinary skills…………………..the agreement may not be even worth the piece of paper on which it is written…………………..

The employee should show the documents in person to an able labor law consultant/service matters lawyer/law firm ……………………for expert opinion………..

2.      The document that has been signed as agreement can be place d before the court…………………..the court shall lift the veil…………………including that it was signed under duress……………

Thee employee should build the evidence…………………

3.      NO. In such cases it is claimed that employee and witnesses signed by their free will.

If there is evidence that they were coerced,forced,intimidated………………….the agreement may no longer remain enforceable……………..

4.      NO. The establishments like Nasschom, NSR have devised method of obtaining prior consent  of employee and password…………………..

This too has been discussed in many threads………………..

The ill informed employees do not know how to handle it………………….

The united and properly informed employees would know how to handle it………….

5.      The employee should download proof and press charges of ‘defamation’,forgery,fraud,criminal defmation,discriminatory retalaiation…………………and even proceed law of torts……………

The employee should retain access to a lawyer…..

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register