Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Amit Gupta (Mg. Director)     20 August 2013

Registry of bank auction property

Hello All,

I have recently purchased a property from a bank auction. I was the winning bidder and have made the complete payment from my bank account and bank has also issued the sales certificate in my favor. Now at the time of registry of the property I asked the bank to execute the registry in favor of a family member but the bank is refusing stating that the law does not allow it and the registry can be done in favor of the winning bidder only but I have read the entire SARFAESI ACT and could not find any point which states the bank has to execute the registry in favor of the winning bidder. I am also ready to give the bank a legal undertaking authorizing the bank to execute the registry in favor of my authorized person but the bank still refuses. Now my questions is:

1. Which provision of the law or the SARFAESI act prevents the bank from executing the registry in favor of my authorized person?

2. In the absence of such provision, what are my options to get the bank to execute the registry in favor of my authorized person.

Also it is to be noted that nowhere in the auction notice is it stated that the registry would be done in the favor of the winning bidder only. In fact I had inquired from the bank before participating in the auction whether registry can be executed in favor of the authorized person of the winning bidder and they had agreed to the same but alas I do not have anything in written from them in this regard.

Thanks to all the learned members for their help in the matter.

Amit Gupta

Learning

14 Replies

binay (advocate)     20 August 2013

mr.gupta, it is not in the sarfasi act. Plz go through the auction sale in transfer of property act. What ever bank said that is right, as a succeseful bidder you are the party, not your family members.

Advocate Sastry (Advocate)     20 August 2013

Read “Security Interest (Enforcement) Rules 2002 “

Amit Gupta (Mg. Director)     20 August 2013

@binay: Sir, thank you for your response. As suggested, I have gone through the Transfer of property act, 1882. I think section 69 deals with my situation but it does not clearly state whether the registry have to executed in favor of the winning bidder only. Also another section 85 which also applies to my situation has the following notation attached to it

Section 85 in The Transfer Of Property Act, 1882
85. [ Parties to suits for foreclosure, sale and redemption.] Rep. by the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 (Act 5 of 1908 ), s. 156 and Sch. V. 2[ Foreclosure and Sale 86 to 90. [ Repealed.] [ 86 to 90.] Rep. by the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 (Act 5 of 1908 ), s. 156 and Sch. V. Redemption

As I am not a qualified lawyer, could you please guide me to the specific section on the Act for my reference?

@Advocate Sastry: Sir, I had gone through the act and it is similar to what the SARFAESI act states regarding the situation. I understand that the Sale Certificate would be issued in the favor of the winning bidder and in my case the bank has already issued it in my favor. But as far as I can understand as a layman, a Sale Certificate does not amount to a registry / sale deed and the act does not state clearly whether the registry / sale deed is also required to be executed in the favor of the winning bidder. Hence I fail to understand what law prevents the bank from executing the registry in favor of my nominee especially when I am ready to give an undertaking to the bank for the same.

In fact, I have also learnt recently that in property auctions carried out by the High-Court in company liquidation matters, the honorable court allows registry in the name of the nominee of the winning bidder. There is a provision under which a winning bidder can petition the court to allow registry in favor of his/her nominee by giving an undertaking for the same.

Advocate Sastry (Advocate)     20 August 2013

Dear Gupta,

As per the sale certificate given to you, it shows that you are the purchaser of the subject property since you have paid the money to the bank... Please go through the Appendix V of the Securitisation Rules... Hence Bank will get the property registered in your favour only... You can ask the Bank to get the property registered in favour of your relative by giving them an indemnity... Bank officials to avoid staff accountability issues in future will avoid to accede to your request and insist that since you are the bidder  and you paid the money the property will be delivered to you free of encumbrances and shall execute sale deed in your favour... You have quoted some instances of High Court auctions... If you are sure of this please speak to the Authorised Officer of the Bank through your local Advocate...But  I have my own apprehensions... Anyhow I congratulate  you for purchasing the property through Bank aution and wish you Good Luck 

Amit Gupta (Mg. Director)     21 August 2013

Thank you for your guidance. I have spoken with the Authorized officer but he has so far not agreed to my request. He has directed me to approach the legal department at the head office of the bank to get their opinion. I feel its more a ploy to get me off his back rather than a possible solution. Still I plan to visit the concerned person very soon. Can you advise which would be the appropriate court to approach in this matter if I am not able to get a solution from the bank? Thanks once again for your guidance in the matter.

Advocate Sastry (Advocate)     21 August 2013

I do not know which place you are from… Suggest to contact local Advocate
1 Like

Amit Gupta (Mg. Director)     21 August 2013

Just had a talk with the law department of the bank. They are basing their decisions based the judgement passed by the Madras HC in the case of Hemalatha Ranganathan vs. Authorized officer, Indian Bank on 13th Aug 2012. After reading the case gives meaning to the saying "Few bad apples spoils the bunch."

Advocate Sastry (Advocate)     21 August 2013

Dear Gupta,

Thank you for updating me... The saying  you said  is correct.... That is why I wrote in my earlier reply that  bank staff to avoid future staff accountability problems will not take decision in your favour though your request is reasonably genuine...

roger fredrick (senior advocate)     03 September 2013

Mr.amit I just wonder how you  could expect the bank to execute sale deed in favour of the family member recommended by you. Because banks which sell properties never execute sale deed in favour of auction purchaser and one more point to be noted in this auction process is that with the issuance of sale certificate the transaction comes to an end  and in  SARFEASI act sale deed is not at all executed. Therefore the question of executing sale deed in favour of your nominee does not arise at all. Sale certificate issued in ur favour is the exhaustive title. 

Amit Gupta (Mg. Director)     04 September 2013

Mr. Roger,

Thank you for your post. Are you saying that once I have received the Sale Certificate I am free to transfer the property to anyone of my choosing? If so, then I would like to seek you legal help as the lawyer at the local registrar office refuses to recognize the sale certificate issued in my favor as the exhaustive title. He says that first a bank representative has to come and execute the sale deed in my favor and only then can I proceed to transfer the property in someone else's name.

Kind Regards

roger fredrick (senior advocate)     04 September 2013

Dear Mr.Amit your advocate is very much right and he is suggesting the right method in telling you that you require sale deed for the absolute transfer of the property in your name. Tell the bank to execute sale deed in your favour.as that is the only document through which you can further sell the property. Banks consider sale certificate as exhaustive  title and as far as my knowledge goes they transfer the property to the auction purchaser through this method only. But if you insist the bank they may consider your case and would try to execute sale deed in your favour. They may take some time in issuing it but tell them sternly that you need this at any cost as you are finding it difficult to sell the property.

Amit Gupta (Mg. Director)     04 September 2013

Dear Mr. Roger, I think I did not understand your last post completely as it seems you are contradicting yourself in this one. What you are saying we have already discussed in previous posts and infact I have also cited the relevant case based on which the banks can transfer the property and execute the sale deed in favor of the winning bidder only. If you have some other legal opinion which applies to my situation and which can be used to convince the bank to act in my favor I would be very thankful as I don't think just talking "sternly" to the bank would reap any benefit.

1 Like

roger fredrick (senior advocate)     04 September 2013

Dear Mr.Amit tell the bank to execute sale deed in your favour so that you can transfer the property to anyone . First of all the reason for my contradiction is that initially I thought you were trying to transfer the property to one of your family members which can be easily done by settlement deed. But when it comes to asking the bank to directly make sale deed in favour of a person other than  your family member  clearly suggests that you are going to transfer  the property  to a private buyer by means of sale. In that case I dont think bank would entertain your request. Apart from that why I told you to talk strictly with the  bank is that once they collect the entire amount  they would hardly evince any interest in executing sale deed .  No citations would help your case and you CANT SUE THE BANK FOR DEFICIENCY OF SERVICE. 

milesmaxx (Employee)     05 September 2013

The Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest Act, 2002, allows banks and financial institutions to (residential and commercial) when borrowers fail to . It enables banks to reduce their non-performing assets () by adopting measures for recovery or reconstruction.

If a borrower defaults on repayment of his/her home loan for six months at stretch, banks give him/her a 60-day period to regularise the repayment, that is, start repaying. On failure to do so, banks declare the loan an NPA and auction it to .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Beach Real Estate

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register