Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vidya K. (HR)     03 September 2013

Reg ancestral property

Dear Experts,

Greetings!

Require your guidance reg property.

I am a 36 years unmarried lady. I don't have any support from family for me to get married, they are just not interested. Since my childhood there has been discrimination between son & daughter & the same is continuing. Now I am worried about my future as I am unmarried, no emotional support, no financial support, no family support.

We have an ancestral property which belonged to my great grandfather. He had 2 daughters. Divided equally between them. This has passed on to my father. As of now we have a banglow, site, gowdown. 

Now my parents want to give the site and gowdown (about 50% of property) to developers, who will give us cash & get buildings built.

My family is of the opinion that whatever cash we get should be equally divided between my father, mother, my younger brother and myself. Even the properties developed should be equally divided between 4 members. After their demise they intend to give their share to my brother. 

Same they want to do to the remaining 50% of the property. cash & property divided into 4 parts & my parents portion will go to my brother. 

My brother says i should get less bec I am a woman& not a male.

I know they are cheating me. Kindly suggest how best to divide the property so that everyone gets a fair share. Also, I want the property/cash to be in parents name till their time, but also to ensure that its given to rightful heir in future & not just based on gender.

Can I get a document made and signed by all my family before we go ahead with the construction so that no one is cheated and everyone is benefited?

Kindly suggest at the earliest.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Vidya

Learning

1 Replies

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     03 September 2013

You can legitimately get your share. However, if your parents want to give their share to your brother after their demise, then it is their choice and you cannot force them in this matter. You can try to convince them not to make discrimination between the children while they are alive, so that they may divide their share equally between all the children after their demise.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register