Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Priya Mengaji (Advocate)     28 May 2012

Details of bank accounts that have been closed

Hi,

I would like to know the process of obtaining the Savings Bank/ Current Account details for my mother,in whose name bank accounts were opened and closed by her deceased father in a Public limited Bank Branch located in Mumbai.

Her signatures were forged to open and close the account so as to deposit cheques in issued in her name.

Fraud has come to light in 2012.The Accounts were operated during the year 1970 and 1994 ,letter sent to the Authorities reflect that they do not have the records as the old records have been deleted as per the Banking Law and RBI guidelines.

Please advise .

Regards,

Priya M.

Learning

4 Replies

Deepak Nair (lawyer)     28 May 2012

At this point of time, it would be difficult to get those details when the bank itself have stated that they have deleted the records.

Prasun Chandra Das (Banker)     29 May 2012

What details are required? This info may help: (1) Paid chqs are required to be preserved permanently (2) A/c opening forms and speciment signatures are required to be preserved for not less than 10 years immediately preceding the current Financial Year.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     29 May 2012

The banks preserve the scanned images of cheques themselves or thru third party e.g. HDFC bank thru third party.

You may submit a request and ask the bank to let you know service charge if any.You may pay the service charge.

The a/c opening forms and specimen signatures may also be preserved thru third party.The bank personnel in IT/Operations may be of some help.We were able to get the copy of old cheque thru thier support from HDFC bank.

Priya Mengaji (Advocate)     30 May 2012

Hi,

The details required are the specimen signatures mainly becoz the savings a/c was opened by my mom's father.

Bank is a Public Limited entity-Canara Bank to be specific.They are not able to view records of accounts that are closed prior to 2006.

I need signatures on the old records period 1972 to 1994.

Regards.

Adv. Priya.M

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register