LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Adv. Mohan Chandra (Self Employed)     27 March 2009

Complainant fails to appear for proceedings u/s138

The complainant is a multinational bank and I am an accused in the case u/s 138, 142 and compensation u/s 357(3). The said case will be shortly completing 4 years. The complainant representative are regularly absent during the proceedings and have been severly reprimanded by various Magistrates on many occassions but on two earlier occassions when the Magistrate were about to dismiss the case they were transfered as per routine.

During the las two hearings the complainant was absent again on first hearing the complainant was penalised 1000 and given a last warning and on the second hearing as the complainant witness was again absent for cross examination the cross examination has been closed.

Now I would like to seek your guidance on how to proceed further.

Should I submit  an application for dissmissal of the case, if so what  is the procedure.  In the last cross the complainant has first denied demanding blank cheques, but later agreed that blank cheques without amount and date were accepted.

Kindly note that I am pursuing this matter on my own for the last one year.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Learning

9 Replies

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     27 March 2009

Mohan Ji,

dont file any such application at this stage.

if the complainant has not been able to prove his case then certianly you will be acquitted.

i must advice u pls seek services of some local lawyer.

complaint can be dismissed even in the absence of the complainant...but that law has been rendered a bit flexible now.  see Ss. 249 and 256 of Cr.P.C

n.k.sarin (advocate)     27 March 2009

Mohanji,

One thing you must understand that you are facing crimnal trial result of which may be aquital of you or may be punishment, eighter fihe or fine +imprisionment. Do not take it lightly.

I advice you , you must appoint a lawyer for the said case .Do not think that you can do better  then a lawyer.

If any opportunity comes that complaint can be dismissed you must press it. Court has power and jurisdiction to dismissed the complaint in the absence of complaint.

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     27 March 2009

mr. narendra kumar and mr. N.K.Sarin are right.

Ravi Arora (Advocate)     27 March 2009

mr kiran is right, i m agree with him

KANDE VENKATESH GUPTA (ADVOCATE)     27 March 2009

Dear Mohanji,

If the complainant and his witnesses are absent on the day fixed for hearing i.e., examination of the witnesses,  you  ask the court by filing an application to acquit you as provided u/s 256 Cr.P.C., which reads, "Non-Appearance or death of complainant:-  (1) If the summons has been issued on complaint, and on the day appointed for the appearance of the accused, or any day subsequent thereto to which the hearing may be adjourned, the complainant does not appear, the Magistrate, notwithstanding anything herein before contained, acquit the accused, unless for some reason he thinks it proper to adjourn the hearing of the case to some other day".  In your case, the complainant and his witnesses are absent continuously and the proceedings are stalled due to absence of the complainant and his witness.   Hence, you have a right  to ask the Magistrate to dismiss the complaint and acquit you   I hope you all the best,  and if you want any further help, you may contact a local lawyer and further information from me.

Yours,

K.VENKATESH GUPTA

ADVOCATE

H.No: 1-1-16/1/2/A

JAWAHARNAGAR, R.T.C. CROSS ROADS, HYDERABAD

Ph.No: 040-27650240/09885808021

venkateshgupta_kande@yahoo.co.in

B.N.Rajamohamed (advocate / commissioner of oaths)     28 March 2009

In a case under section 138 of Negotiable Instruments Act,1881 when a complainant is absent on the date of hearing the magistrate if he is satisfied that the presence of the complainant is not essential on the date of hearing he can proceed with the case by dispensing with the personal appearance of the complainant.

If the complainant has adduced his evidence and his personal attendace is not essential on the date of hearing as he has completed his evidence the magistratew shall pass orders on the basis of the documents submitted by the complainant and by perusing his evidence in trial.

The magistrate cannot mechanically dismiss the complaint on the sole ground of abscence of the complainant that too without issuing a notice from court.

PLEASE TAKE UP THE ADVICE OF YOUR LAWYER . DON'T CONDUCT THE CASE IN PERSON WHICH WILL BE HARMFUL AS YOU DON'T HAVE REQUISITE LEGAL KNOWLEDGE.

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     28 March 2009

Dear All,

The accused may apply for dismissal of the complainant due to non-presence of complainant on several consecutive occasions.

BUT technically THE ACCUSED HAS NO RIGHT TO APPLY FOR  "ACQUITAL", from the case.  AND neither the magistrate has the jurisdiction to "ACQUIT" the accused in a dismissal matter, involving non-presence of complainant.

Dismissal of a complaint is one thing ...

AND

Acquital in a complaint is another thing. There is no such thing as "default" acquital or conviction.

(NOTE : u/s 138,  offence is expressely implied and not presumed)

(in the presence of dishonoured cheque, the contrary has to proved by the accused to obtain acquital)

Acquital is possible ONLY AFTER completion of Trial and not before.

Dismissal before actual completion of Trial is not Acquital.

Acquital or Conviction is a matter of legal deliberation done DURING the Trial.  If matter is dismissed before / during Trial process, then it is neither acquital or conviction.

Technically when a complaint is dismissed and closed,  then there is no accused left,  but legally it still does not imply that the accused is acquitted.

ANYWAY, the above is just my twisted opinion.  Meanwhile ...

Keep Smiling ... HemantAgarwal

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     03 April 2009

There are many aspects in 139 cases and any real smart advocate can bring the complainant in trouble.

It will be defficult for in person  litigants.

As you say cross is closed, so you have good case for aquital. Go on asking for heavy costs on each date and far want of cross examination the complainant has no case.So if the case is not dismissed you can ask for acquital at this point alone. But take help of senor advocate.

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     03 April 2009

There are many aspects in 139 cases and any real smart advocate can bring the complainant in trouble.

It will be defficult for in person  litigants.

As you say cross is closed, so you have good case for aquital. Go on asking for heavy costs on each date and far want of cross examination the complainant has no case.So if the case is not dismissed you can ask for acquital at this point alone. But take help of senor advocate.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register