Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Padma (HR)     16 March 2010

Can a wife apply for passport when the divorce is running ?

Hi All,

I have applied for a divorce and my case is still running in the court and it might take and year or so  to finish it. I heard that I should wait till i get divorce to apply for my passport .Please let me know is there any legal way to get my passport.

Looking frward for your response..

Thanks ,

Padma.

Learning

13 Replies

mahendrakumar (marketing)     16 March 2010

I dont think there is a problem in applying for passport ,in your case.Only thing is that if you get a passport andn leave the country,you may not be in a position to attend your case here.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     16 March 2010

If the court where your case is pending does not object, I dont see any reasons why you should not be permitted as per the Passport Act.

K.C.Suresh (Advocate)     16 March 2010

you can apply for passport. but for leaving the country you can just inform the court if the absence is long. If it is short not necessary to inform.

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     16 March 2010

you can apply for the passport, there is no bar and moreover it is not a criminal case.

Thanks for your response, But I heard that when i didnt get the divorce yet from my husband , Then i should enter my spouse name and his signature is manadatory in the form. When he is alive I am not supposed to enter as im single.

Plz Suggest me in this.

Thanks for your response, But I heard that when i didnt get the divorce yet from my husband , Then i should enter my spouse name and his signature is manadatory in the form. When he is alive I am not supposed to enter as i'm single.

Plz suggest me in this.

Thanks for your response, But I heard that when i didnt get the divorce yet from my husband , Then i should enter my spouse name and his signature is manadatory in the form. When he is alive I am not supposed to enter as i'm single.

Plz Suggest me in this.

Thanks for your response, But I heard that when i didnt get the divorce yet from my husband , When he is alive I am not supposed to enter as im single.Then i should enter my spouse name and his signature which  is manadatory in the form.

Plz Suggest me in this.

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     17 March 2010

you got wrong information.

if it is criminal case and the person is on bail, then permission of court is compulsary, otherwise is not. even after marriage you can avail your maiden name. alongwith your father's name as ..... D/o........

apply on that basis to avoid your future problem.

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     17 March 2010

Divorce case in progress will never stop you from applying a passport.  But until the divorce is granted by the court he is your legal husband and you have to mention his name.  I am not sure if the husband's signature is mandatory in wife's passport even if, there at the colunmn just mention the no. of the case and court in which the divorce proceedings are on file - and explain vide a separate covering letter, for the reasons of litigating divorce proceedings husband's signature cannot be provided.  After applying for passport the process of police investigation will be on and during that time they will collect necessary proof from you if they require it.

mahendrakumar (marketing)     17 March 2010

there is no need of husband's signature in the passport application.

It is a usual practice in India that  while collecting personal data ,Name of husband/father/mother etc is asked.simply strike out the husband/mother part and write your father's name there.

Padma (HR)     17 March 2010

Thank you so much to all of you for giving me this info. :)

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     19 March 2010

wish you best luck

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register