LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vineet (Director)     10 November 2009

BLACK DAY IN INDIAN JUDICIARY

In a shocking incident that could probably be a first in the history of the Indian judiciary, Karnataka high court chief justice PD Dinakaran and two other senior judges were assaulted by agitating advocates on Monday.

The two senior judges, justices V Gopala Gowda and BV Nagarathna, were also detained in a court room by the advocates who were angered that they were hearing cases despite a call to boycott all proceedings in courts across the state on Monday.

The Advocates' Association of Bangalore had called for the boycott to protest against justice Dinakaran's decision to continue to attend court hearings despite him not being cleared of allegations of amassing huge assets, of corruption and of serious irregularities while disposing of cases.

The drama unfolded at about 10.30 am when the advocates noticed that despite the bar members staying away from the courts, some judges were attending hearings. When the news spread, about 200 advocates gathered at the high court premises to express anguish that judges were hearing cases without advocates being present in court rooms.

At around 11.25am, the advocates barged into court room 1, where justice Dinakaran was hearing cases. They verbally attacked him, and a sharp object was reportedly hurled at him, causing him a minor injury.

But the agitators continued hurling abuses at him. Senior advocate Pramila Nesargi also requested the chief justice not to continue with the hearing, but justice Dinakaran held his ground. However, after 20 minutes of drama inside the court room, he was forced to leave the court room when the agitated group did not relent.

The advocates then roamed the high court corridors before entering the court room where justices Gopala Gowda and Nagarathna were hearing cases. At first, the advocates requested the judges not to continue with the hearings, but when they continued to hear the cases, they started singing the national anthem, followed by bhajans.

They then started using filthy language and began throwing papers and books at the two judges. Some advocates had even got hold of chairs and were holding them aloft.

However, when the judges did not give up, the advocates moved out and locked all the four doors of the court room with the two judges inside. They also switched off the power to the court rooms.

Finally, at about 2pm - after over two hours of detaining justices Gopala Gowda and Nagarathna, justice Dinakaran came with the police and rescued them. By 2.30 most of the advocates had disappeared from the high court premises.

Justice Gopala Gowda later said: "There was threat to our lives. Head of the institution (chief justice Dinakaran) was assaulted, my sister judge (BV Nagarathna) manhandled. They threw papers and books at us. They used filthy language. They then locked the court and they cut the power also. But we cannot be cowed down by this; we will work without fear. We are magnanimous."

Learning

12 Replies

Vineet (Director)     10 November 2009

Please excuse me for those Ads. They have inadvertantly been pasted. I don't know how to remove them.

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     10 November 2009

really sad episode... :(

V.V.RAMDAS (Advocate)     10 November 2009

DEar Vineet,

you have posted Ads to circulate among your fellow brothers and now asking for excuse which is quite contradictory. How ever it is a very sad situation . How ever you know that Court is a temple , judges are gods and the advocates are the prists ,who work as a go between litigant and the judge for a noble cause . So we are fighting with our god and the entire socity is laughing at us.

Adinath@Avinash Patil (advocate)     21 November 2009

SAD EPISODE

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     22 November 2009

If the incidents occured as posted by Vineet, then its Very Unforunate. The comments given by V.V.Ramdas, has a clear message.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     22 November 2009

If the incidents occured as posted by Vineet, then its Very Unforunate. The comments given by V.V.Ramdas, has a clear message.

Vineet (Director)     22 November 2009

Dear Shri Ramdas

The pasting of ads was unintentional as the same appeared from clipboard and were not visible in the message box while I was posting this message. As soon as they appeared on forum, I tried to delete them and as couldn't do it, I excused myself. You can yourself verify that the time difference between both the messages is hardly 3 minutes.  I hope you could appreciate it positively.

Dear Assumi Ji, the incident occured on 9th November and was widely reported in media.

V.V.RAMDAS (Advocate)     22 November 2009

Dear Vineet ,

Need not worry for that , it is already in the media and we all are party to the same and it is sorry state of affir.

(Guest)

Chief Justice Dinakaran you are a Good God with bad habbits in Indian Judiciary Sir.

Keep it up be strong and brave India need this type of Chief Justice.

1 Like

Adinath@Avinash Patil (advocate)     25 November 2009

MR. MOHANDAS VERY GOOD JOKE.BUT ALL INDIAN JUDICIARY  NOT BAD.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     05 December 2009

I can't understand why Mr. Vineet is feeling sorry for telling the truth. 

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     05 December 2009

I can't understand why Mr. Vineet is feeling sorry for telling the truth. I remember that two correspondents of Mid Day were punished for telling the truth. 

TRUTH ALONE DID NOT TRIUMPH THERE.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register