LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raju (Software Engg)     25 October 2010

About marriage

Can anyone tell me ? I want to marry a girl but that is 15 year old will our marriage is legal or not she is ready for that.Please tell me if anything is wrong in this  or not?

Learning

5 Replies

Mugundhan (Lawyer)     25 October 2010

Not only illegal, but unethical. You are saying that u r a software engineer, but u want a child to be pushed to married life in such a tender age, when she should getting education and other things needed for her in that stage of life.

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     25 October 2010

Raju Sir, I suppose you can understand what is the rationale behind some laws and also would like to be a law abiding citizen of India, at least for being a well educated person.

Here in India the legal age for marriage of a bride to be is 18 and for a groom, it is 21years respectively. I suppose you respect the law makers and also our Constitution which is supreme law of the nation which emphasises fundamental rights for each citizen.

Though there is prohibition of child marriages Act which says a child marriage is prohibited in India, certain customs allow such marriages and so, it has become impossible to stop such marriages absolutely.  Think twice before taking any hasty step in the interest of a minor girl, which I, as an advocate, think is not advisable. Wait till she becomes a major. Please dont be selfish and give an excuse that the girl consents which has no meaning as she is now still a minor in the eyes of law.

1 Like

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     25 October 2010

wat is ur age?

marriage is legal unless girl decides to leave u on becoming a major.

1 Like

Ajay Gulati (Practicing Advocate)     02 November 2010

the validity of ur marriage cannot be challenged in any court unless 

1. she shd nt repudiate the marriage before reaching 18,

2. she shd nt withdraw her consent so as to make ur marriage void and to implicate u in criminal proceedings.

However my advice to you wd b to wait and let the girl complete 18 yrs, it wd b good for you in terms of physical development as well as mental. 

these acts shd only be resorted to whn the world defies your decision and if u think that everything can go well until she reaches 18 then wait for it.

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     02 November 2010

PURELY ILLIGAL.

LEAVE IT, TILL HER AGE REACHES MORE THAN 18 YRS.

MARRYING HER WILL BE A PUNISHABLE OFFENCE BY YOU.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register