LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Lanbu (Dfgggh)     06 August 2011

Public consumption of alcohol kerala

Hi, A friend of mine was recently charged falsely of drinking in Public when he was disposing of a bottle in a public trash can in Kerala while on holiday there. Does anyone happen to know the penalty for drinking in a public place? The police claimed it was Rs. 8000, and my friend refused to pay. I believe he has decided to contest it in court.

Learning

1 Replies

THANKACHAN V P (Advocate & Notary)     06 August 2011

1. Courts permits  the accused to plead guilty and usually impose only fine ( Rs 2000 to 3000 ) and some courts even permits to plead guilty in the absense of the accused.

2. You can contest the case but it will take minimum two years for the disposal of the case.

15C. Consumption of liquor in public places.- No person shall consume liquor in any public place unless consumption of liquor in any such place is permitted under a licence granted by the Commissioner.

Explanation I:- For the purpose of this section, “Public place” means any street, Court, Police Station [or other public office or any club] or any place of public amusement or resort or on board any passenger boat or vessel or any public passenger vehicle, or a dining or refreshment room in a restaurant, hotel, rest-house, travellers' bungalow or tourists' bungalow where different individuals or groups of persons consume food, but shall not include any private residential room.

Explanation II:- For the purpose of Explanation I, “public passenger vehicle” means a vehicle used for carrying passengers for hire or reward other than a vehicle which carries passengers for hire or reward under a contract, express or implied for the use of the vehicle as a whole at or for a fixed or agreed rate or sum.”

Punishment   Section 63- may extend to five thousand rupees or with imprisonment for a term which may extend to two years or with both.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register