LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Suhash Guha (ASSISTANT DIRECTOR)     28 August 2014

Provident fund

The PF act states if a person is earning less than Rs6500 p.m (now raised to Rs.15000) he will have to mandatorily  maintain a PF account. My question is why salary is bifurcated into two parts , one  up to Rs6500 and the second part the balance amount of salary,and Rs541 (@8.33% on Rs6500) is deducted for pension?

if entire salary is taken then there should not been any deduction towards pension.

Learning

4 Replies

Rajinder Kumar (ऐसा)     28 August 2014

question is not clear. but basic funda is this;- 12% from employee salary goes to PF fund and  out of 12% of employers share 8.33 % goes to pension fund and rest add to PF fund.  Now after 10 years of sevice , one will be eligible for pension nad have less service then can be taken withdrawl benefit. OK?

Suhash Guha (ASSISTANT DIRECTOR)     29 August 2014

Originally posted by : Rajinder Kumar

question is not clear. but basic funda is this;- 12% from employee salary goes to PF fund and  out of 12% of employers share 8.33 % goes to pension fund and rest add to PF fund.  Now after 10 years of sevice , one will be eligible for pension nad have less service then can be taken withdrawl benefit. OK?

PF is mandatory for salary less than 6500 p.m. So, why 8.33% goes to pension fund if salary is more than 6500 and that too taking 6500 as salary?

for example, if salary is Rs20000 p.m. then 12% then 2400 is deducted from employee and Rs 1859 from employer goes to pf and 541 to pension fund.

Here amount transferred to pension fund is 8.33% of 6500

i.e. salary is bifurcated into two parts 6500+13500. If 20000 is considered then there is no question of transfer to pension fund. 

This is my question. Why such bifurcation is done?

Rajinder Kumar (ऐसा)     29 August 2014

i am still unable to understand the question. but it is explained that upto Rs 6500/- pension fund is 8.33% i.e. Rs 541/-. but if salary is above Rs 6500/- then employer and employee both have to apply in epfo jointly for paying contribution above wage ceiling so that employer can pay his 12% to whole salary.  Employer's liability is raised in these type of cases. in this situation if salary is Rs 10000/- then 8.33 will be Rs 833/-.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     30 August 2014

this forum cannot tell why a rule is there.

seek entgire noting of EPFO and Min of labour under RTI, leading to this amendment.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register