Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manoj   02 December 2016

Protection against false dowry case

Hi,

i have filed Section 9 against my wife ( basically for being defensive ) for preparing ground work for divorce as 
they were threating us that they will file dowry case against my family as we didnt agree to pay lum sum money for settlement.the case is in the court from past 1 year (bangalore).
All court summon were rejected on basis of address not found, finally as per court direction, we published court notice on local news paper. After reading summon notice on paper they filed a Dowry complaint in Women's police 
cell against me and my family in local rajasthan place.

i would request please suggest 
1. what preventive measure can i take to protect me and my family.

2. how can i make my Section 9 case stronger against powerful Dowry case 

3. how diffcult it will be to fight against dowry case as its judgment/power is more favoured towards women 

4. How to inter state case will proced in case of seeking anticipatory bail

i am husband, from Bangalore
Wife is from Rajasthan, notice is served from bangalore family court too her home town place

Learning

7 Replies

adv.bharat @ PUNE (Lawyer)     02 December 2016

Manoj u can defeat the case on merit.

Try to collect documentray evidence which shows cruelty by her.

Record the conversation for threat of filing false case or DV application.

AB can be granted by local court where both party lastly reside together.

Will u appreciate this answer by giving like on my LCi prrfile? 

A walk alone (-)     02 December 2016

Brother dnt worry. Judges also know 90% cases are false. Answer of your query1) you should start collecting evidence against her.as you say" they were threating us that they will file dowry case against my family as we didnt agree to pay lum sum money " you should record these threats. These recording will help you as evidence in future . once you and family member get bail almost case is solve. 2) sec 9 and dowry case both cases are different. Dowry case is criminal case. If you win sec 9 it will help you in divorce. 3) if you are true then fighting any case is not difficult. Once you and your family get bail almost case you win. She has file case she has to prove her allegations not you have to prove your innocence. Once case move in court just ask your lawyer to take dates at long interval. After 2 years they will fed up in roaming court they will come for MCD on your terms and conditionsor you can try quash FIR through HC. As she has filed case after one year of separation and after reading summon these are plus points for you.4)AB can be granted by local court where both party lastly reside together.

A walk alone (-)     02 December 2016

Please appreciate adv. Bharat @Pune answer by giving like on his LCi profile

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Manoj
Hi,

i have filed Section 9 against my wife ( basically for being defensive ) for preparing ground work for divorce as 
they were threating us that they will file dowry case against my family as we didnt agree to pay lum sum money for settlement.the case is in the court from past 1 year (bangalore).
All court summon were rejected on basis of address not found, finally as per court direction, we published court notice on local news paper. After reading summon notice on paper they filed a Dowry complaint in Women's police 
cell against me and my family in local rajasthan place.

i would request please suggest 
1. what preventive measure can i take to protect me and my family.

2. how can i make my Section 9 case stronger against powerful Dowry case 

3. how diffcult it will be to fight against dowry case as its judgment/power is more favoured towards women 

4. How to inter state case will proced in case of seeking anticipatory bail

i am husband, from Bangalore
Wife is from Rajasthan, notice is served from bangalore family court too her home town place

If you want you can discuss your case details with me.

Nitish Banka (lawyer)     16 March 2018

Posted by: nitish788  Categories: Criminal Law 

How to take help of police when there is no FIR?

Police plays a vital role in collection of evidence and facts which is heart and soul for a criminal case. The main role of police in criminal case is Search, Seizure and interrogation. It is widely believed that the role of police starts after the registration of FIR which is under 154 of Cr PC or when magistrate  directs the registration of  FIR and investigation under 156(3). but will happen if your 156(3) is also dismissed and no FIR is registered in your case. The answer is complaint under 200CrPC.

Brief about 200 CrPC

The provisions of 200 CrPC are of different nature and is made for people who can prove their own case without the intervention of police that means there is no requirement of search and siezure in the case and complainant has material to prove a criminal case. Generally offences like cheating, forgery, criminal breach of trust  are good cases to come within the ambit of S. 200 Crpc.

police

Role of police in 200 CrPC

The role of police in 200 CrPC is defined under 202 CrPC

If an investigation under sub- section (1) is made by a person not being a police officer, he shall have for that investigation all the powers conferred by this Code on an officer- in- charge of a police station except the power to arrest without warrant.

The role of police is limited when it comes to inquiry under 202 Crpc and magistrate has to record reasons before initiating such inquire and specifying the scope of inquiry.

Judgments on role of police in 200Crpc

In Kewal Krishan vs Suraj Bhan and another AIR 1980 SC 1780 “Further, the inquiry under Section 202 is of a limited nature. Firstly, to find out whether there is a prima facie case for issuing process against the person accused of the offence in the complaint and secondly, to prevent the issue of process in the complaint which is either false or vexatious or intended only to harass such a person. At that stage, the evidence is not to be meticulously appreciated, as the limited purpose is to find out “whether or not there is sufficient ground for proceeding against the accused”. The standard to be adopted by the Magistrate in scrutinising the evidence is also not the same as the one which is to be kept in view at the stage of framing charges. At the stage of inquiry under Section 202CrPC the accused has no right to intervene and it is the duty of the Magistrate while making an inquiry to elicit all facts not merely with a view to protect the interests of an absent accused person, but also with a view to bring to book a person or persons against whom grave allegations are made.”

In Kewal Krishan vs Suraj Bhan and another AIR 1980 SC 1780, to the effect that the standard to be adopted by the judicial Magistrate in scrutinizing the evidence is not the same as at the stage of framing charges. At the stage of Section 204 Cr.P.C., if there is prima facie evidence in support of the allegations in the complaint, that would be sufficient ground for issuing process to the accused. Standard of the said evidence so collected to sufficient grounds for proceeding further is lower than the one to be adopted at the stage of framing charges. It is always open to the Magistrate to weigh the probability and prima facie truthfulness of the evidence produced at the preliminary stage and to form an opinion that no ground exists for proceeding against the accused by passing a speaking order. Wide discretionary power has been conferred u/s 202(1) Cr.P.C. to postpone the issue of process and to either hold an inquiry himself or to direct an investigation to be made by the police officer as he thinks fit, for Cr.Misc. 54913 M of 2007 – 20-

the purpose of deciding whether or not there is sufficient ground for proceeding. When a statute gives wide discretionary power to an authority or Court to adopt any one of the procedures prescribed under law, it becomes mandatory for the said authority for recording reasons for exercising the power even if the statute does not expressly enjoin upon the said authority to do so. It goes without saying that the reasonableness of the exercise of discretion can be decided keeping in view the object, which the statute seeks to achieve while granting discretion.

Magistrate to apply judicial Mind

In Ranjit Puri and others vs Uggar Sain1974 Crl.L.J. 1229, an order passed by the Magistrate, not recording reasons for postponing the issue of process and directing the police investigation was set aside by the our High Court. The order directing the police to investigate the matter, after preliminary investigation and the order of issuing process without proper application of judicial mind, was held to be bad.

Conclusion

The police does not have unfettered powers of investigation in 202 unlike 156(3) but still police can get involved in cases pertaining to  200 crpc but for a limited purpose.

By Adv. Nitish Banka

Practicing Advocate in Supreme Court of India

nitish@lexspeak.in

Deepak Dahiya   03 April 2018

Posted by: Nitish Banka  Categories: Criminal Law Landmark Judgements 

How to Fight False Dowry and Maintainence case in India

Brief of false cases your wife can file and reason why wife files false cases

In India the matrimonial laws are misused more often than to be used by those women who have genuine concerns.

The number one reason why wife opts for false dowry cases against her in laws  is Money. If wife is selfish and instigated by her family the wife choose to live a life sucking savings of husband by harassing husband family and under pressure a husband bow down to the pressure and pay maintenance or settle with wife with an exorbitant package.

The second reason is bad mental health if wife has bad mental health or mentally unfit then also she can opt in for false dowry cases against husband making the life of husband miserable and unbearable.

Family issues If wife wishes to reside separately from husband and by filing such cases the wife wants to put pressure on husband to move out from husband family.

Image result for false cases

Strategy to Fight False Cases

Strategy to fight False 498a case

Consider Quashing of 498a

498a Quashing-How to Quash?

These days its quite an easy tasks for women to register a FIR by attributing allegations of cruelty and a case is registered and thereby the husband and his family members has to go harassment and torture. Now one remedy is available for them which can relieve them from all the harassment and torture and that is quashing of FIR under 482 CrPC. But this remedy is generally very sparingly and rarely exercised by the courts. Generally allegations of cruelty are mentioned in the FIR and based on this FIR is lodged but sometimes police forgets that in the cases of 498a general allegations of cruelty does not stand, the allegation must qualify either of the two parts as envisaged in section 498a.

Image result for 498a quash

First part is that the harassment which can be physical or mental is of such a nature that it could cause women to put her under grievous hurt or she may even commit suicide based on such harassment, therefore only gravest form of harassment are covered, but less graver form of harassment can be used in civil suit for divorce. if the FIR does not satisfy this ingredient the Fir can be quashed as held

In Nagawwa v. Veeranna Shivalingappa Konjalgi, (1976) 3 SCC 736, it was held that the Magistrate while issuing process against the accused should satisfy himself as to whether the allegations made in the complaint, if proved, would ultimately end in the conviction of the accused. It was held that the order of Magistrate for issuing process against the accused could be quashed under the following circumstances: (SCC p. 741, para 5)    “(1) Where the allegations made in the complaint or the statements of the witnesses recorded in support of the same taken at their face value make out absolutely no case against the accused or the complaint does not disclose the essential ingredients of an offence which is alleged against the accused; (2) Where the allegations made in the complaint are patently absurd and inherently improbable so that no prudent person can ever reach a conclusion that there is sufficient ground for proceeding against the accused;
(3) Where the discretion exercised by the Magistrate in issuing process is capricious and arbitrary having  been  based  either  on  no  evidence  or  on  materials  which  are  wholly  irrelevant  or
inadmissible; and (4) Where the complaint suffers from fundamental legal defects, such as, want of sanction, or absence of a complaint by legally competent authority and the like.”

Shakson Belthissor vs State Of Kerala & Anr on 6 July, 2009

In order to understand the meaning of the expression `cruelty’ as envisaged under Section 498A, there must be such a conduct on the part of the husband or relatives of the husband of woman which is of such a nature as to cause the woman to commit suicide or to cause grave injury or danger to life, limb or health whether mental or physical of the woman.

Therefore if prima facie the charge sheet or FIR does not disclose an offence under section 498a the court can quash

Strategy to Reduce Maintenance Case filed by wife

Interim Maintenance Reduced Judgments

Here are some judgments in which the Interim Maintenance was reduced-:

Mohd. Zafarullah Khan vs Yasmeen Khan And Ors. on 3 November, 1989

11. Now on facts, the wife is working as a beautician and earning something. So far as the minor daughters are concerned, the petitioner has earned a huge amount staying in foreign countries and it is not difficult for him to pay at least Rs. 500/- per month to each of his daughters according to the status of the minor daughters which they enjoyed prior to the separation of their parents. It is the common ground of the wife that the husband is screening the properties while the husband pleads that he has to maintain his old parents and unmarried brothers and sisters. Having regard to the facts and circumstances of this case and considering the potentialities and status of the parties, I think Rs. 500/-per month each to respondents 2 and 3 would be the reasonable amount towards their maintenance pending disposal of the suit.

12. The order of the lower Court granting Rs. 2.000/- per month to the 1st respondent herein for a period of 3 months i.e., Iddat period as interim maintenance, is set aside as the same has to be determined after a full dressed trial at the time of the final disposal of the suit. The interim maintenance granted to respondents 2 and 3 is reduced to Rs. 500/-per month each.

Image result for interim maintenance reduced

11.In the facts and circumstances of the case and arguments advanced by the learned counsels on either side and on perusing the impugned order of the learned Judge, this court is of the considered opinion that the maintenance amount of Rs.3,000/- granted by the trial Court without ascertaining the income of the petitioner is not justified. Further, the learned Judge awarded Rs.15,000/- as litigation expenditure, which is also on the higher side. As per counter statement filed by the revision petitioner it has evident that he is earning Rs.6000/- per month. Therefore, this court grants a sum of Rs.2000/- as monthly maintenance to the respondent/wife payable by the revision petitioner from date of interimmaintenanceapplication i.e., 02.06.2010 till date. Further, this court reduces the litigation expenditure payable to the respondent/wife from Rs.15,000/- to Rs.7,000/-. The said amount shall be paid by the revision petitioner within a period of one month from date of receipt of this order, as this is found to be fair and justifiable. This court further directs the learned Subordinate Judge, Karur to dispose of the H.M.O.P.Nos.129 and 139 of 2009 within a period of three months from the date of receipt of this order, without being influenced by the discussions of this court.

The evidence in the case shows that the husband has got only a monthly income of Rs. 623/-. The Court has awarded Rs. 300/-as interim maintenance to the wife and child. I feel, in the circumstances, the husband should not be compelled to pay an amount of Rs. 300/- as interim maintenance. I reduce the same to Rs. 250/- — Rs. 150/- to the wife and Rs. 100/- to the child.

Conclusion

The facts of the case is an relevant aspect along with evidence to fight false dowry cases.

Adv. Nitish Banka

Practicing Advocate at Supreme court

Nitish@lexspeak.in

Deepak Dahiya   03 April 2018

In India the matrimonial laws are misused more often than to be used by those women who have genuine concerns.

The number one reason why wife opts for false dowry cases against her in laws  is Money. If wife is selfish and instigated by her family the wife choose to live a life sucking savings of husband by harassing husband family and under pressure a husband bow down to the pressure and pay maintenance or settle with wife with an exorbitant package.

The second reason is bad mental health if wife has bad mental health or mentally unfit then also she can opt in for false dowry cases against husband making the life of husband miserable and unbearable.

Family issues If wife wishes to reside separately from husband and by filing such cases the wife wants to put pressure on husband to move out from husband family.

These days its quite an easy tasks for women to register a FIR by attributing allegations of cruelty and a case is registered and thereby the husband and his family members has to go harassment and torture. Now one remedy is available for them which can relieve them from all the harassment and torture and that is quashing of FIR under 482 CrPC. But this remedy is generally very sparingly and rarely exercised by the courts. Generally allegations of cruelty are mentioned in the FIR and based on this FIR is lodged but sometimes police forgets that in the cases of 498a general allegations of cruelty does not stand, the allegation must qualify either of the two parts as envisaged in section 498a.

First part is that the harassment which can be physical or mental is of such a nature that it could cause women to put her under grievous hurt or she may even commit suicide based on such harassment, therefore only gravest form of harassment are covered, but less graver form of harassment can be used in civil suit for divorce. if the FIR does not satisfy this ingredient the Fir can be quashed as held

In Nagawwa v. Veeranna Shivalingappa Konjalgi, (1976) 3 SCC 736, it was held that the Magistrate while issuing process against the accused should satisfy himself as to whether the allegations made in the complaint, if proved, would ultimately end in the conviction of the accused. It was held that the order of Magistrate for issuing process against the accused could be quashed under the following circumstances: (SCC p. 741, para 5)    “(1) Where the allegations made in the complaint or the statements of the witnesses recorded in support of the same taken at their face value make out absolutely no case against the accused or the complaint does not disclose the essential ingredients of an offence which is alleged against the accused; (2) Where the allegations made in the complaint are patently absurd and inherently improbable so that no prudent person can ever reach a conclusion that there is sufficient ground for proceeding against the accused;
(3) Where the discretion exercised by the Magistrate in issuing process is capricious and arbitrary having  been  based  either  on  no  evidence  or  on  materials  which  are  wholly  irrelevant  or
inadmissible; and (4) Where the complaint suffers from fundamental legal defects, such as, want of sanction, or absence of a complaint by legally competent authority and the like.”

In order to understand the meaning of the expression `cruelty’ as envisaged under Section 498A, there must be such a conduct on the part of the husband or relatives of the husband of woman which is of such a nature as to cause the woman to commit suicide or to cause grave injury or danger to life, limb or health whether mental or physical of the woman.

Therefore if prima facie the charge sheet or FIR does not disclose an offence under section 498a the court can quash

11. Now on facts, the wife is working as a beautician and earning something. So far as the minor daughters are concerned, the petitioner has earned a huge amount staying in foreign countries and it is not difficult for him to pay at least Rs. 500/- per month to each of his daughters according to the status of the minor daughters which they enjoyed prior to the separation of their parents. It is the common ground of the wife that the husband is screening the properties while the husband pleads that he has to maintain his old parents and unmarried brothers and sisters. Having regard to the facts and circumstances of this case and considering the potentialities and status of the parties, I think Rs. 500/-per month each to respondents 2 and 3 would be the reasonable amount towards their maintenance pending disposal of the suit.

12. The order of the lower Court granting Rs. 2.000/- per month to the 1st respondent herein for a period of 3 months i.e., Iddat period as interim maintenance, is set aside as the same has to be determined after a full dressed trial at the time of the final disposal of the suit. The interim maintenance granted to respondents 2 and 3 is reduced to Rs. 500/-per month each.

11.In the facts and circumstances of the case and arguments advanced by the learned counsels on either side and on perusing the impugned order of the learned Judge, this court is of the considered opinion that the maintenance amount of Rs.3,000/- granted by the trial Court without ascertaining the income of the petitioner is not justified. Further, the learned Judge awarded Rs.15,000/- as litigation expenditure, which is also on the higher side. As per counter statement filed by the revision petitioner it has evident that he is earning Rs.6000/- per month. Therefore, this court grants a sum of Rs.2000/- as monthly maintenance to the respondent/wife payable by the revision petitioner from date of interimmaintenanceapplication i.e., 02.06.2010 till date. Further, this court reduces the litigation expenditure payable to the respondent/wife from Rs.15,000/- to Rs.7,000/-. The said amount shall be paid by the revision petitioner within a period of one month from date of receipt of this order, as this is found to be fair and justifiable. This court further directs the learned Subordinate Judge, Karur to dispose of the H.M.O.P.Nos.129 and 139 of 2009 within a period of three months from the date of receipt of this order, without being influenced by the discussions of this court.

The evidence in the case shows that the husband has got only a monthly income of Rs. 623/-. The Court has awarded Rs. 300/-as interim maintenance to the wife and child. I feel, in the circumstances, the husband should not be compelled to pay an amount of Rs. 300/- as interim maintenance. I reduce the same to Rs. 250/- — Rs. 150/- to the wife and Rs. 100/- to the child.

Conclusion

The facts of the case is an relevant aspect along with evidence to fight false dowry cases.

Adv. Nitish Banka

Nitish@lexspeak.in

Conclusion

Adv. Nitish Banka

Nitish@lexspeak.in

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register