LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Fight Back (Analyst)     19 November 2014

Proposed amendment in marriage law

There is a news floating around a proposed change in divorce law, check the below link.

https://www.livemint.com/Politics/lZMeiOhQ0nFsfgwQGy0PJM/Government-plans-Bill-to-make-marriage-laws-women-Friendly.html

I was interested in on line here which says reads "Seeking to put an end to prolonged legal battles in divorce cases, the Law Ministry has proposed that courts will be free to exercise discretion in granting divorce after three years if one of the partners does not move a second 'joint application' for divorce with mutual consent."

What does this imply? If at all this is passed? Does it mean if there is no amicable settlement or reconciliation between the parties then court can grant divorce on irrevertible grounds? Experts please throw some light as I'm going through a contested divorce case from 4 years now and its still in respondent evidence stage and my so called wife is unnecessarily delaying it to just prolong the case.

Learning

3 Replies

Srinivasan (IT)     19 November 2014

This is for mutual consent divorce only. That after filing the joint mutual petetion if one party is not cooperating or not turned for second motion then courts will be free to exercise discretion in granting divorce after three years if one of the partners does not move a second 'joint application'for divorce with mutual consent."

But for contested divorce either the spouses should prove the alligations according to their grounds.

It will be starting from 1 years to 5 years of time

DV Act Buster (CEO)     20 November 2014

Mr Srinivasan, your last line....not clear

What will be starting in 1 to 5 years time ?

Srinivasan (IT)     20 November 2014

Time duration for contested divorce

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register