LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

rajendra   17 February 2015

Property of deceased without will

My mother (M) expired about 9 years ago, without creating a WILL. There is one Residential plot (A) (current market value about 2.5 cr) and a flat (B) (current market value about 12 lakh) in her name which she purchased around the year 2000 out of proceeds of sale of my father’s self-made house in Madhya Pradesh. My father (F) also owns a residential flat (C)  (current market value about 12 lakh) in his name which he got as inheritance after death of my Grandfather and Grandmother in the early 70s.

Me and my two sisters (S1 & S2) are married and have two children each. S2 resides abroad and is a citizen of USA.

My Father (F) is now more than 80 years old. He wishes to divide the above properties by making a WILL as follows, without any consideration and with mutual consent:

Property A to be transferred to S1; Property B to be transferred to S2; Property C to be transferred to me.

S1 feels that the above transfer and necessary documentation should be completed urgently without further delay, and not through the process of my Father creating a WILL.

I seek guidance on following Queries:

Q1. What is the position under Law for division/ transfer of the above properties (A), (B) and (C) amongst me, and my sisters S1 & S2?

Q2. At this point in time, do my two children and those of S1 and S2 also have claim to share in property (A), (B) & (C)? If so, under what Law/ Rules?

Q3. What is suggested process as per law for effecting the above transfers.

Q4 (a). What taxes/ duties are applicable to be paid under which Acts/ Rules

Q4 (b). Who is to pay the taxes/ duties if any as per 4(a) above

Q5. What are the pros and cons of Father creating a WILL for transferring the properties A, B & C vis-à-vis actually undertaking all the transfer process at this point in time?

Learning

4 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     18 February 2015

Dear, The properties which were in your mother's name could only be disposed by her only and after her death the property is to divided amongst you all children equally and since your father has acquired the property you guys better ask him to make a will yo anyone and others would have no objection to the same .... This is the best way out .... Kapil Chandna Adv 9899011450

rajendra   20 February 2015

Thanks Chandnaji. Any views on my other questions ?

rajendra   20 February 2015

Thanks Chandnaji. Any views on my other questions ?

rajendra   24 February 2015

Thanks once again Mr Chandanaji.

Can anyone please advise urgently on the questions I had asked in original post?

If not on all questions, please urgently reply to :

1. What are the pros and cons of Father creating a WILL for transferring the properties A, B & C vis-à-vis actually undertaking all the transfer process at this point in time?

2. If transfers are done of mothers properties A & B as in post, what taxes/ duties are applicable and who all are liable to pay these?

Thanks in anticipation.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register