LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

karthikeyan r   02 August 2015

Property dispute with father

My Father purhaased a land and constructed a house.Later I had constructed in the First floor with the help of housing loan with my father as a co applicant as the property was in my fathers name. My father is alive now.  I have a sister and we are the only two children. At present my father is willing to give the entire ground floor as a share to my sister.  Whether the property can be shared like first floor and gound floor as in case of flats.  In such case what will be the legal issues in future when i wish to part with my share ?

Learning

3 Replies

rajagopal.s (Lawyer.)     03 August 2015

Hi 

Technically, it is possible . when your father partitions the ground floor in favour of your sister and the first floor in favour of you, then you need to discuss about 

a) Undivided share of land (in case of flat, every flat owner gets an undivided share of land, which cannot be sold seperately but can be sold only along with the flat.

b) Terrace and Upper floor rights- since you are in G+1 building, you need to discuss on what happens to the terrace as well as rights to construct upper floors. before you decide the undivided share of land, you need to have a plan on what you intend to do with terrace and upper floors. it should not be so that your sister has equal rights on terrace and upper floors or she has the right to say no in case you need to construct on terrace or upper floors at a later date. 

c) Access and Easementary rights: you also need to discuss and finalise access and easementry rights of the property as these also need to be finalised before partition.

Once all of the above are finalised, you need to get the document registered at SRO . 

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     04 August 2015

Since the property is self-acquired of your father, it is his will and wish to give or not, whole or any part to you/your sister. He is competant to dispose it of as he desired, no one can challange.

It is advisable to discuss and sort it out amicably.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     12 August 2015

A proper partition deed can be drafted, executed and registered demarcating the boundaries and all other issues involving the partition.  Learned friend Mr. Rajagopal has provided some vital clues on how this partition deed can be drafted, you may follow the suggestions made, which is found to be acceptable.  

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register