LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prasad (Mr)     21 April 2012

Procedure for a will

I would like to write a will for property I own in India and in US. I am guessing I need to write a will here and in US seperately. Please advice.

Also, if I write and register a will before marriage, will that hold valid if something happens to me down the road?

Learning

2 Replies

Rajesh Hazra (Mediator and Legal Counsel )     22 April 2012

You can have a single WILL drafted and get the same registered at India which would enforce the Indian Property and the bank holdings at India as well would certify the other remaing portion of property outside India. The same copy of the draft can be registered at US seperately to have a valid enforcement for US property. As India courts or banks sometimes may not  recognize the US Wills then in that case you need to have a Will in India for Succession Certificate.

Pragati (law student)     25 April 2012

a single will is sufficient for each and every self owned property of yours.........1stly i want to inform you that a person can write any no of wills in his lifetime.....d one which he wrote last wil be acceptable....so marriage nvr affects the enforcement capacity of a will....if the property is self owned one !!

one more thing i wanna tell u that even ragistration of a will is not mendatory........an un ragistered will holds the same authority....! 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register