LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mohit (Director)     03 January 2014

Police verification of out of city individuals

I run a transportation company and during the course of my business I have to hire drivers on contract regularly. The drivers' residential and permanent addresses are located in other states and it is not possible for a transportation company to verify their addresses in person and ultimately their character, given the vast geography of our country and limited resources we have as small operators.

The police department has setup a system to get the domestic servants/employees/tenants etc verified at the local police station by submitting the relevant forms and documents and a nominal fee in the form of a pay order favouring the Commissioner of Police of the city, however they do not cooperate in verification of these drivers from other states/villages/cities saying that they cannot verify people who dont live in their jurisdiction.

My question is whether there is a provision in law, whereby I can send the details for verification of a prospective driver by registered post to the local police station in whichever state/village the driver belongs to:

1. Take precaution for preventing any instance of criminal activity by the driver to take place and
  2. Indemnify myself as an irresponsible employer, from any possible crime the driver may commit during the course of his contract with my company.

If the same is possible, then, is there a provision whereby the respective local police is obliged to give me a reply with their confirmation/inference of their verification in a particular time frame to help me to base my decision of hiring the particular driver.

Since whenever an incident happens and we approach the police to help us nab the said driver, the police asks whether the driver was verified before being hired and even if the drivers do submit the documents at the time of appointment, the residential address or other details turns out to be a forged document since a criminal already with an intention to commit a crime would not submit original documents.

A side question, related to the subject, we as transporters face a similar problem with the driving license of the drivers issued by the local RTOs across the country. Since our country does not have a central database of licenses, a driver can easily get duplicate licenses and it is again not possible to check with RTOs across the country to verify the legality of the driver’s license by going to an RTO in person, is there a provision whereby drivers licenses can be verified by sending a registered post and the verification fees in form a pay order and get a reply from the RTO Office in a specified time frame.

Thanking you in anticipation of a helpful reply,

Regards,

Mohit

Learning

2 Replies

Mohit (Director)     27 July 2016

Bumping up this thread, hoping to get some advise or suggestions to the problem.

Further, just wanted to know if an affidavit could be used as a means to shift the onus of authentication of the documents to the driver himself, by making him submit an affidavit that the doucments submitted by him (address proof, drivers license etc.) are legal and issued by the true authority.

Best Reagrds,

Mohit

Mohit (Director)     28 July 2016

No opinions on this subject matter?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register