LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     14 June 2012

Police should not be part of wedding parties of vips

Today is the wedding of Telugu Hero Ram Charan (son of another Telugu Hero Chiranjeevi).  I saw some Inspectors and women police keeping vigilance on people coming to wedding.  Just wondered what is their social status there in that function.  There are judgments delivered by supreme court against individuals claiming compensation for torts committed by govt. servants and Supreme Court held that govt. servants are part of government and hence enjoy sovereign immunity and hence cannot be held liable for any torts.  Police are also the servants of government.  Their dignity and self esteem shall be of paramount concern for governments.  Police are there to protect public, but of late they are being used to protect VIPs from general public. 

As Chiranjeevi's PRP is part of Congress in Andhra Pradesh, the govt. might have arranged for police security to the function or even otherwise, being a VVIP he may get that kind of security if any other government was also in place.

Whatever be the case, I found the presence of police personnel in such VVIP function as demeaning the dignity of their jobs and professions.  They might be having lunch or dinner along with the servants in the end given their social status and their body language.  I do not think that is the way government servants should be allowed to be treated.  So the best option is not to field police personnel for VVIP functions and tell the VVIPs to bear the costs and appoint private security forces to protect themselves.

Learning

1 Replies

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     14 June 2012

Police should not be made to feel they are par with servants of VIPs.  The above judgment of Supreme Court is quoted only to convey how much dignity a govt. servant is eligible for.  I am aware later such judgments were reversed in Vidyawati's case, however that does not mean the status of govt. servant is reduced in the eyes of law.  Police personnel represent the State the State is sovereign and so they should not be forced to do the work that demeans the dignity of their professions. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register