LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

md ismail (proprietor)     10 January 2013

Please help me in solving law cases

Sam owns a mobile fish and chip van which he regularly parks in a layby on the A55 duel carriageway selling fish and chips and soft drinks. One morning he receives a court summons stating that he has been charged with breach of a bylaw which states:-

‘It is an offence to operate any mobile premises on the A55 (a road)  for the sale of burgers, hot dogs or other food. The sale of coffee, tea and other hot drinks is also prohibited.’

Sam tells you ‘I only sell fish and chips and coke – they can’t touch me!’

Using the rules of statutory interpretation explain to Sam the risks he runs of being convicted of the offence.

Part 2

Sam has a further problem. He hires his van from a food retail company. As part of the contractual agreement the company is required to fix any mechanical problems the van may encounter. Recently the van’s gear box failed, but when Sam asked the company to fix this problem they refused. Sam undertook the repair himself which cost him £500. Sam would like to recover this money from the company, but is uncomfortable about using the court system.

Explain to Sam the alternatives that exist to a civil court action. What advantages and disadvantages do these alternatives have?

Learning

1 Replies

C. SANJEEVA RAO (ADVOCATE)     16 September 2013

If it is during the warranty period, the company is refused to take up the repair of gear box, the company is supposed to change or replace of the gear box.  Even after this the company refused to take up the replacement during the warranty period, Sam can approach the Consumer Forum and get his problem solved.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register