Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raju Kumar   26 July 2018

Please help

Dear respected people out there.
I was born in a small village in Bihar and for the post 19 years I am living in Delhi.
After completing my matriculation and +2 from from Bihar, I came to Delhi in the year 1999 for my further studies and completed my graduation from Delhi University in year 2002.
After completing my graduation I got a job in Private Limited Company in Delhi and since year 1999 I am staying in Delhi on a rented accommodation. It has been 19 years I have been living in Delhi.
Currently I am staying on a rented house in Delhi with my wife, 1 year and 10 months old son and my mother.

My father was running a small general store shop in the small village in Bihar. He was suffering from asthma. I brought him to Delhi on 3 August 2017 for treatment. However, I could not save my father and unfortunately he passed away on 5 August 2017 due to his illness at my rented house in Delhi. His cremation ceremony was performed in Delhi on 6 August 2017. After performing cremation of my father in Delhi, I went to my village Mahua for further rituals and things which are followed and performed in the family as per Hindu religion.
After completing the rituals by 20 August 2017 few people in the village started coming to me told me that my father borrowed money for business from them on interest and now I owe them money.

When my father was alive he never told me anything about these things neither the people who lent money to my father told me anything about this when my father was alive. And they never asked me or informed me anything about this before lending money to my father when he was alive.
The total amount which they are claiming in total is a huge amount of more than 8 lakh rupees and I cannot affored to pay this. Also, I am not sure whatever these people are claiming is true or false as they do not have any written documents with signature from my father proving that my father owed them money.
Could you please help how can I deal with this situation.
Thank you.

Learning

7 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     26 July 2018

When some persons are demanding borrowings of your father, without any paper, you need not take such threats into account.   But as a responsible son, if your father is having such assets, and you believe the credentials of borrowers, check as to whether your father has reduced such amounts in writing and his spending of such amounts, and settle the same only after confirming of such needs.  He may be having friends or your mother or some one close to him in business as he was then maintaining a shop.   There may be dues payable to him (Sundry debtors).  This is purely a personal matter.

H.JanakiManohar Rao (lawyer)     26 July 2018

Without pronote u need not consider their request.

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     26 July 2018

1. Has your father left any property?

2. Has your father left any bank balance?

3. Apart from you, who are all in the family - i.e. the sons/daughters in the family?

4. You can politely tell the people who are approaching you to show any documents wherein your father has signed to have taken any amount from them.  If any such document is there, then you will check up and then come back to them.  (Probably, nobody will be having any documentary proof of having given the money to your father).  Therefore, they will keep quiet.  Even if they make any noise, you can politely say, that in the absence of any documentary proof, you are not in a position either to believe or not believe their version.  You are helpless.

They will not be able to take any legal action, if they do not have in their possession, any document signed by your father.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your help.

I am the only son and I have asked my mother about this. However, she does not know anything about this.

Plus I have also also asked few people in the village and they also said they do not know anything about this.

And the people who are asking money from me does not have any written document showing my father has borrowed money from them. I do not know what to do.

Please advise.

Thank you.

1. Has your father left any property?
Ans: He has not left any property.

2. Has your father left any bank balance?
Ans: He has not left any bank balance.

3. Apart from you, who are all in the family - i.e. the sons/daughters in the family?
Ans: I am the only son in the family and I do not have any brother or sister.

4. You can politely tell the people who are approaching you to show any documents.
Ans: I have asked. However, They are saying they do not have any thing in writing.

My mothere does not know anything about this and I have also asked few people in the village about this and they also said then do not know anything about this. I am worreid becaus they are not good people.
Please advise.
Thank you.

Thank you sir.

They do not have anythng in wiiting.

But they are not good people and I fear threat for me and my family.

Please advise what shold I do.

(Guest)

Your father may have taken hand loan.  This is very common practice.  It is unfortunate that your father passed away.  As per Hindu Dharma you  should repay the debt of your father.  That is the duty of real son.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register