LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ravi   29 November 2015

Petition against dowry

My wife filed a petition under section 12(a) to dissolve the marriage.In the same petition she have mentioned that she has given a dowry of Rs 5 lacks (in cash) and 1 lakh gold ornament. We (both the parties) did not maintain any written document for this.

The only section she filed in the petition was 12(a).

I have decided not to appear in the court and take an x party divorce.

I am not going to file any counter for her petition as her parents want a divorce/dissolve under section 12(a), so that they can do remarriage to her easily.

As I am not appearing in the court, Everything written in the petition is accepted by me indirectly.

Will there be any chance for her to file another petition stating that I have taken dowry ?

Learning

9 Replies

b.goheel   29 November 2015

appreciate ur luv and affection towards her and admirer of ur philantropic thought to make a smooth way thn fail to understand ur hesitation to extend the kindness of ur nature.

A walk alone (-)     29 November 2015

I appreciate ur luv and affection towards her . But if both are ready then why dnt you go mutual divorce instead of wasting time. Think in future you got ex-party divorce on basis of some ground or false allegations when you remarried and show that papers it will might be against you. Better go for mutual divorce.

Ravi   29 November 2015

Outside of the court we have decided to pay an amount of Rs 14 lakhs as maintainance. we would transfer the amount to the bride's family after the judgement.Thats the deal.

Thanks for the valuable suggestions.

Ravi   29 November 2015

The amount that we have decided to give out of the court is already deposited in FD account on the name of my father and the bride's father.

Nitish Banka (lawyer)     29 November 2015

Dear Ravi, 

If divorce is proceeded exparte that does not mean a confession you have taken dowry,she can file a case under DP act check for limitation

Thanks & Regards

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     30 November 2015

Just absconding from the divorce proceedings will not leave U on a soft turf.Better keep a watch for the cases to be levied on U in future.Don't be complacent.Try to defend personally or through a lawyer.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     01 December 2015

Is there any case filed u/s 3 & 4 of the Dowery Prohibition Act? If yes, contest vigorously, otherwise wait and watch, do not take such hurried decision.

Indian laws are very much female oriented, be aware.

Ravi   07 December 2015

Thanks every one for your valuable suggestions.

Ravi   30 December 2015

Can the court award an imprisonment to me under the section 12(a) along with annulment of the marriage.

-Thanks.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register