LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sudhakar (Manager)     19 September 2011

Passport for married woman - affidavit requirement

My mother ( 58 years) applied for fresh passport today [She has never had passport before] . She has not changed her name post marriage and continues with old name itself.

The officer insisted on submission of either Marriage Certificate or Affadavit D. [Her marriage is not registered hence getting marriage certificate is ruled out]

Affadavit D is for change of Name after marriage , which is not applicable in her case. However the officer rejected application stating the reason. I searched for the rule/instruction on this, but couldnt find one stating this requirement. In this regard need some help

a) Please point me to which Passport Act rule, instruction which states that married women should submit marriage certificate or Affadavit D ( even case of no name change)

b) Why is this applicable only to married woman and not men. My Dad got new passport with Spouse name endorsed without submission of above said documents.

Isn't this requirement discriminatory against women?

[Mods, please point me right forum, if this isnt the category]

Thanks

Learning

3 Replies

(Guest)

it is not required. to change name.  apply to the higher officer  in pass post office with your queries 

Attached File : 91326 210637 29 passport act.pdf downloaded: 1132 times

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     25 September 2011

Make a complaint to the Secretary, Ministry of External Affairs, Passport and Visa Division, Patiala House Annexe, New Delhi-110 001, attaching a copy of rejection letter of PO.

PASSPORT LAWYER (PROPRIETOR)     24 November 2013

Yes Bother it is Mandatory Document Annexure D .

Men Do not Need as no name change , Women Do need as Their Maiden name gets Changed to Married Name 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register