LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ajay (Staff)     27 June 2017

Pagdi property

I hold a commerical pagdi property in Mumbai. There was an ongoing dispute between the landlord and his extended family as to who should collect the rent and for sometime none of the tenants knew whom to pay the rent to.

A few years back the landlord and his extended family agreed amongst themselves and put a notice in the news papers informing whom the payment should be made to.

We do not know the amount of rent that is due to the landlord, as he is not telling us, but instead is telling us to come with the last payment receipt.  In the past whenever he collected the rent he never used to  issue any receipts.

I am not sure by how much he wants to increase the rent.

I am seeking your legal advice to tell me the following:

1. How much rent and rent increase can the landlord legally charge in Mumbai (the building is a cessed building) and under which act does the rent increase come under?

2. If the landlord comes up with some exhorbitant amount as due, then what are the options that we have?

3. Is it possible to deposit some adhoc rent directly in the court? will that work in my favor in case of further dispute?

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register