LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Namakkal Raghavendran (CEO)     10 April 2017

Offer for sale of an item over the internet

Recently I was looking for a high end DSLR camera and expressed interest in an item which was on sale in the OLX.in website. In a few days I received an email purported to be from one Anil Shamar stating that he has an identical item for sale. The price he quoted appeared to be much less than what it should be even for a used item. So I didn't argue for the price and replied that i will be willing to buy it provided the price will be paid thro banking channels and not cash, after the item is received by me. He agreed and after a few days, he sent the bank account particulars of the person to whom the money is to be transferred. He also asked for 10% of the price for the shipping and handling charges. Though I grew suspicious of the genuineness of the offer, since the money was not very much I transferred the money to that account. After some more days he again sent a mail that some more money is required for releasing the item from the Customs dept. as it is an imported item. I flatly fefused since no such demand had been made earlier and he was squrely responsible for clearing it from customs or whatever. After that I have not heard from him at all.

My question is can I register a complaint with the local police for fraud and will they be able to  nab him with the bank account details? I will be grateful for any advice. It is not so much for the money, as my desire to punish him for attempting a fraud and prevent his trying the same trck on others.

N.K.Raghavendran

45m 3rd Main, Ganganagar Extn.

Bengaluru 560032

Learning

1 Replies

Dr. Atul [9013898936] (Lawyer, Scholar)     11 April 2017

I can relate to that wish to get even with fraudsters more than the money but let's face it - it's not going to happen. What can you do? You may contact OLX, but they'd wash their hands off the affair, and quite rightly so. You may report to the police, cyber crime and all, but I seriously doubt if the police would pay any attention to a minor financial crime. Call the chappie some place to hand over further advance, this time in cash and in real life because you need a signed receipt, round up some fellows and ... well ... what do I know, accidents happen.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register