Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kesava Rao ( Software)     28 October 2016

Nri property protection

Hallo,

I have one property (small shopping building) in India, which I brought before my Marriage. At that time, I am holding Indian citizenship. Recently, I changed my citizen ship to German.

I am married more than 10 years back. But, recently (in 2 months times) got a small family distribute and my wife was influenced by some of her relatives. She went for a short vacation and stayed back there and they are going to the tenants of my property and asking them to hand the rent otherwise they are threatening.

Can someone please help me in understanding the legal implications for following questions?

• As my Citizenship is changed, do I need to declare anything with Municipal office or Government authorities in local area?
  • Is there any special rights to the property of NRI to get protection?

Learning

3 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     28 October 2016

Sir, 

Legally she cannot recover rent if the terms in the rent agreement is clear about the person to whom the rent is to be paid. In whose name the property appears ? who bought the property? what could be the reason of her not coming back ? did she threatned you about any legal implications to you?

Warm Regards 

Kapil Chandna Advocate 

Kesava Rao ( Software)     28 October 2016

Actually, that property is in my name only from the time of buy. And my father is handling all rental contracts, rent collection and modifications.

Her mind is poisioned by her relatives saying these rents are missutilised.

Upto now, no legal implecations. Her demand is, to transfer the property to her name to return. I refused to do that.

But don't know, how feature is going to be.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     28 October 2016

If rent agreement is signed and rent collector is clear.

The tenants have to pay as per agreement.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register