LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ML   06 November 2017

Noisy upstairs neighbours

I have a tenant couple with one year old living above my flat in Mumbai. The guy (I am guessing based on the timings)
usually plays with his kid by running around the flat. It has created utmost nuisance to me as he doesn't stop running at all
except for when I suppose the kid sleeps (since I can't hear the kids voice when he's not running around). During weekends
it's worst case since the Olympic racing starts in the morning and doesn't stop even during afternoons. I have told them
upfront about this twice (once at 1:30 am) to which they deny doing any such activity inside their apartment. Unfortunately I
tried recording it but, the thumping sounds are not getting recorded. Although one can hear the footsteps and thumping and
sometimes they are so intense that a small chandelier in our living room vibrates and the glass parts bang on each other.

I initially informed the owner and she asked me to adjust a little till 12-12:30. What these people don't understand is how
irritating the entire thing is on a daily basis. Plus why should I 'adjust' for anyone when I have bought my flat to live peacefully
and not based on someone else's requirements. I had formally complained to the society and they (tenants) were given a
verbal warning. But, a few days later every nuisance activity is back again with more loud thumping sounds (even when
walking). This time around when I informed the Chairman, he was reluctant to enter this domestic quarrel. I understand he
not wanting to be in the bad books of either of us. I don't want to be a complaint box each time because this won't be a one
time case (since the property will always be let out). I want to go for some subtle form of legal route which gives enough
warning to the tenants as well as the owners. Can anyone suggest me a solution?

Learning

2 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     09 November 2017

You hire a foul-month (better a female) for 15 days. You ask her to go upstairs, ring the bell, bang the door and shower abuses continuously for at least half an hour each time. It should be so loud that other neighbours should collect. Things will stop well before the 15 days. You pay the foul-mouth handsomely. You can choose odd hours for the sessions.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     09 November 2017

You can say that you have hired the lady for the purpose. Don't say it was for foul-mouthing. It was just to help you to talk to the upstairs person.

I stay in Mumbai.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register