LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Samuel Fisher (Service)     01 November 2014

Negligence on part of bank

Recently my bank sent me a very detailed report of my finances held with them (alongwith my account numbers) in a completely open envelope.

Can this be considered as negligence on part of the bank w.r.t. handling client confidential data?

Would it be possible to take this issue to the consumer forum?

Learning

3 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     01 November 2014

It is an implied term of the contract between customers and their banks and building societies that these firms will keep their customers’ information confidential. This confidentiality is not just confined to account transactions – it extends to all the information that the bank has about the customer.

But from time to time, mistakes happen and – for whatever reason – banks end up releasing information that they should have kept secret. Sometimes, the resulting breach of confidentiality is little more than technical (in other words, nothing really flows from it), but occasionally it can have major consequences.Give a complaint to the Ombudsmen of your banks.

Samuel Fisher (Service)     01 November 2014

Thank you sir, for your reply. A case like this had already been reported by me to the bank (term deposit advices were not glued properly, enabling one to see my TD number, PAN amount of deposit) and they had mailed me saying they would forward it to the concerned department. but now it has taken a whole new proportion - the quaterly report from the bank came in an open envelope! which is why i think it is high time I sought a resolution permanently.

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     01 November 2014

Sir,

Please send a written complaint to the Banking Ombudsman appointed by Reserve Bank of India for your Bank, stating all your grievances in details.

Good Luck,

Kishor Mehta

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register