Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

PhoenixR90 (Business)     24 October 2014

Need help - physically abused by brother and his wife

Hi everyone,

I'm a long time reader on this forum and finally registered to get some advice from professionals here. Hope I can get some valuable inputs for my questions. I'm not sure how to describe my problem or from where to start.

I'm single and self employed - freelancer ( tax payer ) work for a few companies on project basis. Whatever I earn, goes to my monthly bills, loans..etc. My dad passed away few years back and my mother is currently living with me, She is 52 years old and health wise she is currently not in good shape. she is a diabetic patient and needs medial care very frequently.

I also have a elder brother, he runs a company ( 2 branches in India + 1 recently in abroad ) and lives separate in same city with his wife.

After his marriage, Their living separate from us, But he used to pay 10,000/- monthly for mom by NEFT directly to her account as maintenence, cause I'm taking care of mom for her needs.

That was for a year and later due to some family issues because of his wife, She doesn't like us for many reasons and one of them is to visit them, So she played very wisely by separating us from him and executed it very well by blowing silly issues in family and completely changed him a violent person.

When I say, totally violent. I really mean it. To an extent he physically abused me for supporting mom and beat me nearly to death, In an argument he broke my upper left shoulder. I was in serious condition and under bed rest for a week.

I always had a respect for my brother even though he has not done anything good before or after marriage. But I couldn't believe the way he behaved that day, when he physically abused both of us.

I couldn't hit him back, not because I couldn't or I'm younger than him. It is because, I was literally in shock and couldn't see him like a 3rd person ( If you know what I mean ) Also he's a father for a son and head of a family. If anything happens to him, That would kill me in pain for rest of my life.

Anyways, I couldn't say any more as it only brings more pain.

It has been 2-3 years, he has not paid a single rupee for his mom.

Financially, I'm weak right now to take care of mom. I explained my current situation to her and she has agreed to get some legal help. Now I'm looking to take a legal action on him for abandoning her without any maintenance. Is this possible ?

1. How can I proceed further ?

2. Do you think we can get the same 10,000 per month from him ?

3. Do you think hiring a lawyer and making him to speak to him is good choice ? before filing a case.

4. For maintenance cases, Approximately How long the case will go on till final judgement ?

5. Finally How much does it cost ? I know this depends on each lawyer and state. But any idea in the range ?

I have no experience on this. If anyone care to help,  Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Learning

10 Replies

PhoenixR90 (Business)     24 October 2014

Obviously I'm a male and sorry for not mentioning that.  My post might sound unusual around here, But I didn't come here to cry out what happened to me. I'm here to get some answers for my questions. And I thought to get those answers, It is better to describe what the actual problem is about.

I don't really care if you justify what he did was right or wrong. Cause, That's not gonna help me or answer my questions.

And No, I'm not looking for free lawyers or free services. I never asked or mentioned about that anywhere, Read what I said above.
I said " I'm financially weak right now** ". Not forever. And that doesn't mean I want a free lawyer. Refer my question #4 & 5.

And after reading that you're an atheist. I have nothing else to say.

Anyways, Im not forcing you to reply back.

I've trimmed my post.

Thanks.

(Guest)

Take this as a compliment.  People like you are very few, you need to be kept in a museum.   Goodness me, you are a compassionate person.

Ask your mum to file an application u/s 125 crpc.  Its duty of every grown up kid to support parents when they are in trouble.  Law supports it.  Get your hands on old bank statements, his latest maxi size photograph, his office address, his office address abroad.

You can also ask your mum to file a DV case under which she can ask maintenance which goes as follows.

Section 12 in The Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005
12. Application to Magistrate.—
(1) An aggrieved person or a Protection Officer or any other person on behalf of the aggrieved person may present an application to the Magistrate seeking one or more reliefs under this Act: tc "12. Application to Magistrate.—(1) An aggrieved person or a Protection Officer or any other person on behalf of the aggrieved person may present an application to the Magistrate seeking one or more reliefs under this Act\:" Provided that before passing any order on such application, the Magistrate shall take into consideration any domestic incident report received by him from the Protection Officer or the service provider. tc "Provided that before passing any order on such application, the Magistrate shall take into consideration any domestic incident report received by him from the Protection Officer or the service provider."
(2) The relief sought for under sub-section (1) may include a relief for issuance of an order for payment of compensation or damages without prejudice to the right of such person to institute a suit for compensation or damages for the injuries caused by the acts of domestic violence committed by the respondent: tc "(2) The relief sought for under sub-section (1) may include a relief for issuance of an order for payment of compensation or damages without prejudice to the right of such person to institute a suit for compensation or damages for the injuries caused by the acts of domestic violence committed by the respondent\:" Provided that where a decree for any amount as compensation or damages has been passed by any court in favour of the aggrieved person, the amount, if any, paid or payable in pursuance of the order made by the Magistrate under this Act shall be set off against the amount payable under such decree and the decree shall, notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 (5 of 1908), or any other law for the time being in force, be executable for the balance amount, if any, left after s uch set off. tc "Provided that where a decree for any amount as compensation or damages has been passed by any court in favour of the aggrieved person, the amount, if any, paid or payable in pursuance of the order made by the Magistrate under this Act shall be set off against the amount payable under such decree and the decree shall, notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 (5 of 1908), or any other law for the time being in force, be executable for the balance amount, if any, left after such set off."
(3) Every application under sub-section (1) shall be in such form and contain such particulars as may be prescribed or as nearly as possible thereto. tc "(3) Every application under sub-section (1) shall be in such form and contain such particulars as may be prescribed or as nearly as possible thereto."
(4) The Magistrate shall fix the first date of hearing, which shall not ordinarily be beyond three days from the date of receipt of the application by the court. tc "(4) The Magistrate shall fix the first date of hearing, which shall not ordinarily be beyond three days from the date of receipt of the application by the court."
(5) The Magistrate shall endeavour to dispose of every application made under sub-section (1) within a period of sixty days from the date of its first hearing. tc "(5) The Magistrate shall endeavour to dispose of every application made under sub-section (1) within a period of sixty days from the date of its first hearing."

Now the difference between filing u/s 125 crpc and DV u/s 12 of 2005, the former gets your mum maintenance money, but the latter will get your mum police protection too.  
Remember this, file any case either 125 crpc or DV u/s 12, both will surely jeopardize the left over relations between you, your mum and the brother.  But the brother in question has not left any other option for you both than to approach court.  As a son its a shame that he is listening to his wife and not taking care of his mum.

As for you, you are doing great.  Try also to contribute some money to your mum for her well-being.  All the best.  Keep in touch.

Shailesh (Businessman)     24 October 2014

Alright, you can just go through Maintanence and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007.

You can go through it on net, ask your lawyer about it. All the best.

BTW,  does your sister-in-law, (brother's wife) have any siblings? Can you talk to them on the personal front? Whom does she have as her siblings if she has any? Reply if u can.

P.S. : I am an atheist, but I did not tell you also to become atheist. 

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     24 October 2014

Your problem is simple and solution is also very simple.  You engage a local advocate and a legal notice has to be sent by your mother through a lawyer demanding monthly maintenance of about Rs.15,000/- indicating that he was earlier paying the same.  After 15 days of sending the notice, move an application under Section 125(1)(d) of Criminal Procedure Code along with interim application and file it in the court.  The application shall accompany the bank passbook, which shows that he used  to pay Rs.10,000/- per month on earlier occasions and also notice sent to him..  Within three to four months, she would start to get the interim relief of not less than Rs.10000/- per month and after two years the order would be further confirmed after evidence is over.  For sending legal notice and filing the petition you pay Rs.1000/- to the advocate and once you get  interim relief you pay him  Rs.5000/-, as you fix the total fee Rs. 12,000/- and the remaining six thousant you pay instalments when case proceeds further.  

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     24 October 2014

In all statements whether by yourself or by your mother begin with the following:

(1) Your full name

(2) Your gender (in olden days they were saying 's*x')

(3) son of, wife of or daughter of.

(4) Your age

(5) Your current address.

If you do all the above confusion will not arise as to whether you are a male or female etc.

Self introduction and chronological narration of the case are most important  for success.

PhoenixR90 (Business)     25 October 2014

Thanks for your information guys, really appreciate your inputs.

The problem is actually not simple, because it has blown out of proportion and he's like willing to do anything to please his wife.

@HelpingHand! :

Thanks for your information. But right now i'm looking to file a case for the maintenance only.

Obviously I'm taking care of her right now, I have managed to look after her all these years but my business is not like before. My expenses are getting higher than what I earn. She also has medical expenses. So, This money would really help me to take care her medical expenses and balance out my situation.

@Shailesh, She has a sister and we both explained the situation to her. But you know what...

She took her phone and started recording all the conversation thinking that I didn't notice her screen that recording ( its an iphone that shows on the lock screen. ) and later she sent it to her sister.

After that, It has gone even worse.

@Chandrasekhar:

Sir, pardon me. I'm not sure If I understood your post.

1. How can she demand 15,000 when he actually sent 10,000 before ?

Cause I have the bank statement for proof as he sent 10,000 only.

2. Are you saying that this type of case will take around 2 years ?

I'm totally new to this, a little more explanation would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     25 October 2014

From the time when he stopped  sending Rs.10,000/-, the cost of life has  increased and so your mother can demand for maintenance of Rs.15,000/- instead of Rs.10,000/-.  You can say clearly that earlier he was paying only Rs.10,000/- but taking into consideration of the escalated price rise, she is praying for the maintenance of Rs.15,000/- per month.  Finally, it is the court's discretion how much she should be provided.  Do not forget.  Being son, the court will also take into consideration that how much money / services are going from your side to her.  You both are equally responsible for her maintenance.  If she is staying with you and you are meeting her medical expenses and paying rent, the court will take that also into consideratin.  Interim relief will be granted under Section 125 1(d) within 3 months and she starts to get some amount. Final adjudication will take two to three years.

Shailesh (Businessman)     25 October 2014

Hmmm.... I  see. Then it is advisable that seek for legal solution only as her family members are also in her favour.

All the best!

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     25 October 2014

Learned advocate Mr. Chandrasekar has given you proper advise as what is to be done and how, you may follow his advise, I fully agree with him on all the points except one issue, i.e., the fee aspect of another advocate.  I am sorry to say that no advocate has any right to fix another advocate's fees, this could have been avoided.

Anand Bali Adv. (Advocate Solicitor & Consultant)     29 October 2014

I am fully agree to the suggestions made by my friend Mr Kalaiselvan who has partially agreed to the advises given by the Mr Chandrasekar, no body has right to fix any body's professional fee. So it must not be either advised or quoted on this platform.

The maintenance case can be filed with in preview of the sec 125 of CrPC and Sec 12 of the domestic violence Act read with the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior citizen's Act 2007 as been quoted by Mr Saileah.  This Act has  also provided simple, speedy and inexpensive mechanism for the protection of life and property of the older persons. to provide more effective provision for maintenance and welfare of Parents. After being passed by the Parliament of India received the assent of the President of India on Dec 29 2007 and was published in Gazette of India on Dec 29 2007. Though some states have already  implemented the Act and other states are taking steps for implementing this Act.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register