LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shreya   16 January 2018

Naming a baby with a special character

Hi , I had a question about naming my baby. My surname is Prakash and my husband's is Agarwal. I want to name the baby Firstname Prakash-Agarwal. Note the hyphen in the surname. The reason behind this is that often the middle name gets dropped and I don't want my surname to get dropped. Is this allowed in India?

Learning

2 Replies

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Shreya
Hi , I had a question about naming my baby. My surname is Prakash and my husband's is Agarwal. I want to name the baby Firstname Prakash-Agarwal. Note the hyphen in the surname. The reason behind this is that often the middle name gets dropped and I don't want my surname to get dropped. Is this allowed in India?

Whats the idea behind hyphenating?

1. Rule 1. Generally, hyphenate two or more words when they come before a noun they modify and act as a single idea. ...
  2. Rule 2a. A hyphen is frequently required when forming original compound verbs for vivid writing, humor, or special situations. ..

I suggest you to use commas after each name

Comma Use
  1. Use commas to separate independent clauses when they are joined by any of these seven coordinating conjunctions: and, but, for, or, nor, so, yet. ...
  2. Use commas after introductory a) clauses, b) phrases, or c) words that come before the main clause.

Eitherways a comma or hypen is enough to bring your marriage to court halls.  Good luc.

(Guest)

Whats the idea behind hyphenating?

1. Rule 1. Generally, hyphenate two or more words when they come before a noun they modify and act as a single idea. ...
  2. Rule 2a. A hyphen is frequently required when forming original compound verbs for vivid writing, humor, or special situations. ..

I suggest you to use commas after each name

Comma Use
  1. Use commas to separate independent clauses when they are joined by any of these seven coordinating conjunctions: and, but, for, or, nor, so, yet. ...
  2. Use commas after introductory a) clauses, b) phrases, or c) words that come before the main clause.

Eitherways a comma or hypen is enough to bring your marriage to court halls.  Good luc.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register