Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

pawan kumar   31 August 2015

Name change in birth certificate

Hi,

I want to change my mothers name in my birth certificate for my passport. what is the procedure?

Learning

5 Replies

KS Johal   01 September 2015

I have never known anybody to be able to change their mother's name on the birth certificate. Why was the correct name not given at the time? Remember mother is the person who gives birth to the child. To get the mother's name incorrect is very serious indeed.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     01 September 2015

When a fact is recorded in books of Hospital, after a lapse of so many years, you can not change the name of your mother unless she is having some other name also .Name change is different from correction.  Please decide as you can never change the name, you can only correct the name, in case of mistake.

KS Johal   01 September 2015

Mistakes are accepted if they are made by the state but if they made by the name giver then generally this is not accepted. This is because sometimes people are moving alphabetical characters backward and forward which changes the name itself. But if the mistake was made by the state then they have an internal procedure which they will correct it. Quite often when a name is given the administrator would give you a receipt of the birth certificate once this is given and if you fail to note the mistake and also failed to notify them then generally it is accepted that the name is correct. Generally the question would be why was the mistake not collected at the time of entry or within a given period? If I were you I would not try to change the name on the birth certificate because that will put doubts on the authenticity of whatever you are trying to do and also on the birth certificate. Here you are trying to challenge an impossible task. Also I would not go down the route of making fake documents. This would further throw the spotlight on you and regard you as a criminal trying to deceive the state. So make the passport with the original name that is on your birth certificate that would be a solution in itself and a safe one for you and the state. Staying within the law is always a good thing because you can always justify certain actions or inactions on the birth certificate. Sorry this is not what you want to hear but I think it is the best solution in this case.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     08 September 2015

Mr Johal has given a valuable explanation and reply, nothing more to add to it. 

arun singh rathore (LAWYER)     10 September 2015

I agree with Mr Johal's explainatin and reply

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register