Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rameshchander E (Professional Consultant)     30 July 2017

My rights on my grand father property

Sir,
My grand father house property which is built in 1960 which has three floors (ground floor one flat(2BHK, one flat (3BHK in first floor and two flat (one BK, & one BHK) in second floor).  Totally four legal heir for my father (me, two brother and one sister). my father has given jewelleries worth 40 sovereign and one plot  registered in my sisters name. 
My father has written will with the help of lawyer which I am aware of but after my father death, including my mother claim that there is no such will. My father has written in a diary also that ground floor is for me, first floor for my elder brother and second floor for younger brother. When my father was alive he was collecting rent and i have not got any benefit out the property.

About a year back, each floor of the building has been altered to make it liveable for the current needs. I have invested around 4 lakhs towards alternation of ground floor and two brother spent money for their floors first and floor respectively). 
Ground floor is let out for tenant and rent is collected by my mother and first floor fully occupied by brother (no tenants in first floor), second floor has two flat in which one is occupied by my another brother and one flat is let out for rent and rent is collected by brother.  My mother has not handed over the key for the ground floor.  

My mother and elder brother decided informed that she will live in each son's house monthly on a rotational basis and as a son, we (each son) need to pay INR 2000 to my mother every month in addition any expenses take place for  my mother when she is at any son's home. 
The issue is that the rent collected from the tenant (who is occupied the ground floor) is maintained by mother and she will deduct the monthly payable and any other expenses incurred for the house and then she used to pay in cash for some months(never received the rent consistently since last one year and till date). I heard that my mother may take possession of one of the flat (second floor flat occupied by tenant) by vacating the tenant and collect the rent from the ground floor tenant. I may not get any benefits out of that properly though i have rights.  I need your advise on how to approach this issue and exercise my rights

Learning

8 Replies

Siddharth Srivastava (Advocate)     30 July 2017

Consult with details and documents. If WILL is wtritten in a diary even then such WILL is valid. 

Kumar Doab (FIN)     30 July 2017

It seems to be very fair and workable family arrangement.

Except that you have some heartbrun due to the some investment that you claim to have made.

You could have avoided such investment as you were never owner of the property.

Is your father alive?

Regret the error; You have posted that your father has deceased.

It is believed that you are all Hindu.

Confirm!

If the said written statement in diary is not signed by 2 witnesses and does not satisfies for being a valid WILL then as a legal heir request the said lawyer to provide you with a copy of the WILL, if any left in custody of lawyer.

The valid WILL may be acted upon. 

The last valid WILL shall prevail.

Does the written statement in dairy mentions that father has left a WILL with said lawyer?

Has the lawyer been made executor?

Has the lawyer as Executor came forward to submit the WILL so as to act upon it?

Rameshchander E (Professional Consultant)     03 August 2017

I have mentioned in my message that my father death (passed away). Me and family is Hindu

Kumar Doab (FIN)     03 August 2017

Originally posted by : Rameshchander E
I have mentioned in my message that my father death (passed away). Me and family is Hindu

Dear LCI querist @ Rameshchander E,

Yes you have.

I have already regretted the error.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     03 August 2017

Same Query:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/details.asp?mod_id=152453&offset=0

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register