Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ankit Samaria   15 February 2018

Mumbai stamp duty query

My mom owns a house in Mumbai.

She is a housewife.

Property agreement is of 2008. Stamp duty as per 2008’s value of property was duly paid at that time.

But the property could not be registered in 2008 as my mom is mentally not well & so we could not take her to registration office.

Now when I went for registration of the property, I am told that again I will have to pay stamp duty & that too as per today’s property value. So now the stamp duty is running into Lakhs of rupees.

MY POINT IS:-  

The said property is not been newly bought or sold today when I am registering it. There is no new transaction.  

I am just getting it registered. So why should I pay stamp duty again & that too as per today’s value.

Also, I could not get property registered as my mom is mentally not well & so we could not take her to registration office.

But stamp duty was duly paid in 2008 as per then property’s value & as per 2008 Property agreement.

Please advise!

Learning

1 Replies

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     15 February 2018

The fact is the Sale Deed was not registered so far (whatever may be the reason). The property transfer is being sought to be registered for the first time now. Therefore, there is no other go for you than to pay the stamp duty applicable on the today's value of the property. PERIOD.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register